This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Salsa

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Salsa

Postby Eugene » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:38 am

Basic recipe from Gardentractortalk.com

2 tomatoes semi ripe and/or green.
1 large onion.
1 clove garlic.
1 green peppers.
2 jalapeno peppers - seeded.
1/2 t. salt.
1 T. cilantro.
1 T. lime juice.

My recipe, ingredients and quanties vary. Remove some of the juice from the tomatoes. Ingredients in blender and chop. Initially I only put a small amount of hot peppers in the blender. Taste test for the burn level before adding more hot pepper. To hot, add more tomato and green peppers.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Re: Salsa

Postby Billy Fussell » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:03 am

My wife makes our own salsa/picante sauce/hot sauce. Her recipe makes about 6 pints, depending on how much you cook down the ingredients.

16 cups peeled tomatoes
4 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped bell peppers
2 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons garlic salt
cayenne peppers to taste.

Chop tomatoes, onions, and peppers and mix in a large stainless steel or porcelin stock pot with the vinegar, sugar, garlic salt. Add the hot peppers to your particular taste. Cook at a slow boil until it is as thick as you want it, about 2 hours or so. My wife cooks hers down till it is pretty thick, not soupy. Stir often or it will burn. Put it up in hot jars and lids.

You can adjust the amount of pepper, garlic salt, etc. to your own liking. To us, this hot sauce is better if you use fresh ingredients straight from the garden. That is what we do.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”