This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

garden seed planters

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
krose
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12121

Re: garden seed planters

Postby krose » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:35 am

Tractor dad, thanks for the info, pm sent

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:51 am

I do not plant near as much ground as Dirtdoc, my garden is only about 6000 square feet. 2 years ago I bought an Earthway precision seeder. This was my second push type seeder, I do not remember the brand of the first one, but it was a similar design, and the seed plates even fit from one to the other though not perfectly. The Earthway does have a better design on the seed hopper, and comes a lot closer to using all the seed than it's predecessor did. The shoe is adjustable for depth, and when you are pushing it you naturally push downward providing the pressure on the rear wheel. When the seed gets low, simply lean it to the side once in a while to get the seed in place for the wheel to pick up. Remember, it was designed to have an operator pushing it, not sitting on a tractor seat watching. :lol: One thing that could stand an improvement with the Earthway is the seed plates. My old planter in addition to being stamped for seed types and spacing had test holes for minimum and maximum seed sizes for that plate, the Earthway has the types stamped on it, but does not have the test holes.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 47037

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:09 pm

John, I just love a garden with no foot prints in it after you plant. The Earthway does work very well behind the cub cadet.. :D , besides I enjoy the challenge of gardening with a "key and a seat".
Got to use my new Jang planter last night. The individual floating planters is a huge improvement over the solide frame design. Had to redo my 3 pt hitch to make sure it raises high enough so as not to drag when turning. I planted 15" rows...800 ft carrots, 200 ft beets, 200 ft onions, 300 ft spinach, then switched to Cole planter and put 1000 ft in the ground.. All that in about 3 hours. About 1/2 the time was resetting the planter. It rained today so that ought to set the seed up as good as it can get.
I still haven't figured out how to plant onion sets from a seat yet. Sonny's tator planter looks like a good idea, but takes two to operate. Some days help just seems to be off somewhere fishing or hunting mushrooms. So I do plant a few things by hand yet.. Greg

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”