This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carb rebuild? Distributor cap?

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22650

Re: Carb rebuild? Distributor cap?

Postby mozer71 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:12 am

I've followed this thread and the advise is so good. The engine will run with all types of problems but they shorten the life of the engine. There is good reason the engine didn't continue to run more than seconds. All these things needed attention and familiarity, so as to be right. One thing I noted was the flange gasket above the carb. The up draft carb relies upon vacuum and the absence of a full gasket , invites over tightening the flanges. That would be bad to consider.

cody96ss
Zip Code: 60460
Tractors Owned: 1977 IH Lo-Boy

Postby cody96ss » Thu May 23, 2019 3:31 pm

It is running pretty good!!! I’m very excited, thank you all for the help! I mowed with it as well, PTO engagement is smooth and doesn’t kill it. Clutch is very touchy, and carb still dumps fuel everywhere if I open the fuel valve all the way, but I have made so much progress! I think I’m going to have to order a new float needle (or whatever it’d be called) and rebuild it one last time. Any good ideas? Also, I don’t get much RPM range, fan I get some more out of it by adjusting the bar connected to the back of the carb?
First Time Lo-Boy Owner - 1977 IH 184
Firefighter/First Responder
OIFIII/OIFIIII/OEFVIII/OEFIX Combat Veteran

Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Postby Larry B » Thu May 23, 2019 9:46 pm

Get a timing light and set the timing at 16 degrees BTDC. Don't worry what timing is at idle. Max RPM at full throttle no load is 2510. If timing is off or not reaching full RPM tractor will feel low on power.

MikeEyre74
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06063
Tractors Owned: Standard F-Cub, 1949
John Deere Model A, 1948
Wheel Horse 312-8, 1987

Postby MikeEyre74 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:46 am

I just went through this on a machine I have here. It literally was as simple as a bad condenser. I put in a new one and all the problems were solved. It would sputter for a few seconds, choke gasp and wheeze, but wouldn't run.. now, I start it by hand crank by the third pull every time.
Standard F-Cub, 1949
John Deere Model A, 1948