This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New pin for the rear flywheel

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: New pin for the rear flywheel

Postby BigBill » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:14 pm

I think we nailed it. In sheer strength it’s very strong.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:15 pm

BigBill wrote:The 8 mm Thompson shaft is perfect but needs to be threaded on both ends of the pin.

We must be able to tighten the pin on the flywheel so it compresses on the outside of the shaft. Otherwise we will have that flywheel rattle.

My son found a 8 mm shoulder bolt that’s 30 mm long, and is already threaded to 8 mm 1.25 on the end, I just ordered some. I want to see the fit in the 8 mm hole.

https://www.mcmaster.com/90782a125

One day shipping from my boys in jersey. Then we need to decide on Thompson shaft or the shoulder screw. Which fits better. My number 1 int154 has that flywheel rattle. I’m sure it has a bolt installed without looking at it.

Ok this shoulder screw arrived from McMaster it’s perfect no cutting or threading. It will work, might need a thin washer under the head but it will work.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

wagonmaster
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14830
Tractors Owned: 108
1969 154
1971 154

Postby wagonmaster » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:37 pm

Having dealt with this problem several times before, 2 broken split hubs, I am confident that you have the best solution. A spiral pin through the center is not enough. The hub still will have a little wobble in it. It needs the split halfs drawn tight. Did you get it together yet?

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:59 am

It’s sitting here waiting for warm weather. It’s going to work. The brake puck bracket may need more of a radious to clear the bolt head and nut but I’m sure it will work. Everybody seems to put in a screw and nut and it wears on the threads. That’s not a forever fix. I don’t fix things twice. The 8 mm shoulder bolt in shear is very strong. The orginal spiral pin seems like a spring. I think it flexes till it wears. The 8 mm Thompson shaft is a tad tighter fit. But both ends need to be threaded. Thompson shaft is surface hardened. I don’t think the shoulder bolt will fail.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:52 pm

BigBill wrote:Another way is a metric Allen cap screw cut the threaded the same way so the threads are out of the hole.

The shoulder bolt fits tighter.