This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Voltage regulator testing/adjustment

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
efern
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49617

Voltage regulator testing/adjustment

Postby efern » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:57 pm

I have a cub 154 lo boy. It runs fine at idle and low RPMs. At higher RPMs it misses badly and the amp guage goes way up. I removed the cover from the Voltage Reg and found that if I push up on the spring on the rear relay (deenergizing it) the front relay deenergizes, the engine stops missing and the amp guage goes to heavy discharge. Can someone tell me how the voltage regulator relays are supposed to work. How to test and adjust the voltage regulator, or where I can find a manual that explains the voltage regulator. Thanks

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Voltage regulator testing/adjustment

Postby Cecil » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:46 pm

It sounds like a good tune up would be the first thing to do. As far as the meter going way up that is what it's supposed to do when you increase the speed of the engine. Start with new points, plugs and condenser. If that does not solve the problem we'll move to fuel.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:05 pm

It should go up at first to charge up the battery. But after running the tractor for a while it should lower the charge when the battery is fully charged up.

Like Cecil said it sounds like a tune up is needed too.

Now in using seafoam i do notice it runs sluggish at first in the spring start up. But once its warmed up and raising the throttle a tad and let her run for a while the engine will clean out and run actually better. The more we run it the better it will run.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

efern
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49617

Postby efern » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:40 pm

I had already done an ignition tune up as well as a fuel check up and had narrowed the problem down to either the starter/generator or the voltage regulator or both. That's why I was looking for the information on them. Which I found in the Blue Ribbon Manuals right here. I'm up and running (no missing and normal charge readings) with my spare starter/generator and a voltage regulator I got from Hamilton Bob (who linked me to this site). My (supposed to be the good) starter/generator and voltage regulator is in the electrical shop for repair. Thank you very much for your help and advice.