This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Project: LoBoy Custom

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 11941

Project: LoBoy Custom

Postby tyrtrax » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:36 am

Hi all! New member here. Name is Ellis, and I'm addicted to cool things mechanical. I like to rebuild things with my eye towards what would better(imo), either aesthetically or mechanically. Some things I do just because I think it looks cool. My present undertaking is this '73 LoBoy 154. I've had it a couple years now. Smooth runner, pretty solid, but showing some warts. Figured stop the downward spiral and put my twist on what I consider a classic machine. I will admit, although I have this, a '49 Cub and a later 184........I'm not real knowledgeable about them. But I'm pretty sound mechanically, can weld and I'm fair at fabricating stuff I need. I do tend to streeeeeeeeetch out my builds, time wise. I go in with some rough ideas and then shift on the fly a lot, lol. So, if you have a couple years to follow along and are not upset when folks don't stick to original, let's get this party started :{_}:

The clay.

Fair looking machine.........from 40 feet. So, at this point I have my first question for those in the know. There is a 6 bolt pattern connecting the final drives/gear reductions. Are the six bolts on a equidistant bolt hole circle? And if so, is it then possible to index the final drives at 60 degree intervals?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Re: Project: LoBoy Custom

Postby tyrtrax » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:18 am

Got the answer on final drive rotation question. :thanx: folks

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:17 pm

Ok, so the first thing I did when looking over the 154 is identify what I think are it's most prominent/coolest features. IMO, those are the final drives and that sweet little four banger flatty.

Started tearing it down a bit for further assessment.

This engine area is pretty cluttered. You can hardly see the engine. The fuel tank is dominant. Muffler and intake complete the wall.

On the flip side, it's the starter/generator and the voltage regulator.

Time to prune and reconfigure.

Tranny/rear end stripped of fenders and shrouds. Like the mechanicalness that shows now. I won't be using the rear PTO. It's coming off.

I like it better already.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby bob in CT » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:39 pm

:lol: I'm in the midst of a long drawn out project, which is a real departure for me but i have found it relaxing ( now where are those :censored: bolts!!!).

Take a look at my 6 speed transmission post which should have been 6 speeds froward AND reverse. Not my project, but it will be a fun one to follow and update for everyone here.

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:46 am

Yes, I've checked that thread out. Could prove quite interesting............and a great learning opportunity :D

No deadline with these type projects I do. I'm faced with deadlines every day at my shop. I'm not about to bring that into my hobbies.

Got a puller on the steering last night with some pressure on it....and a good soaking of Kroil. See if it breaks loose tonight :?:

mastercraft
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14201

Postby mastercraft » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:51 am

looks like that'll be a fun project :)

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:47 am

In removing the steering wheel, leave the nut on or you'll mushroom the shaft (it's hollow). Some guys have luck pulling upward on the wheel with their knees while hitting the shaft with a hammer.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:10 am

Great project. I boxed my frame so far and added the uprites for the fel. Next is to extend the boxed frame to the rear for a backhoe.
This involves power steering and new front axle and spindles. I'm thinking the original hydraulic for steering. A pto driven pump for the fel/hoe. A gear driven starter and alternator. A 12v fan temp controlled on the radiator. The fan that's belt driven can get six blades too. Just a little toy for doing work. I used a cadet with the loader and I'll say these little machines can do work.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:57 am

Bob McCarty wrote:In removing the steering wheel, leave the nut on or you'll mushroom the shaft (it's hollow). Some guys have luck pulling upward on the wheel with their knees while hitting the shaft with a hammer. Bob

Thanks Bob! I went back last night, after a night of pressure and Kroil and she "popped" in a quarter turn :{_}: And yes, I did leave the nut on as you mentioned :wink:

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:43 am

BigBill wrote:Great project. I boxed my frame so far and added the uprites for the fel. Next is to extend the boxed frame to the rear for a backhoe.
This involves power steering and new front axle and spindles. I'm thinking the original hydraulic for steering. A pto driven pump for the fel/hoe. A gear driven starter and alternator. A 12v fan temp controlled on the radiator. The fan that's belt driven can get six blades too. Just a little toy for doing work. I used a cadet with the loader and I'll say these little machines can do work.

Thanks Bill! Do you have a thread for your build? I think we have some common ground to our projects as I am looking to have power steering also. Not exactly enamored with the stock setup. Kind of light with lots of linkage. Pretty high efficiency loss there. :( I'll also be going larger up front, tire wise, so I'll probably be fabbing up new spindles with lug nuts.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:08 pm

My pics were here but not sure now.

I purchased 750-10 three rib tires for the front these fit perfectly on the 154 10" turf tire rims and 11,2x24 AG tires for the rear. I'm using farmall A 24"x 10" wide rims on the rear with fcub rim centers. They need to be fitted. I have a creeper tranny for it too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:59 am

BigBill wrote:My pics were here but not sure now.

I purchased 750-10 three rib tires for the front these fit perfectly on the 154 10" turf tire rims and 11,2x24 AG tires for the rear. I'm using farmall A 24"x 10" wide rims on the rear with fcub rim centers. They need to be fitted. I have a creeper tranny for it too.

Love to see some pics, Bill. I have 24" AGS from a Cub for the rear. Hopefully get them mounted this weekend. Definitely more tear down photos coming. Then the real fun begins..........altering and fabricating.Here's a couple pics of a build I'm close to finishing, hope that's cool to post here. It's Gravely based, but it's a ground up build, 9" stretch, 5" rise, that includes parts from numerous tractors, GT's, air compressors, fridges, treadmills, ship parts, etc.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:27 am

Neat gravely.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:30 pm

My pics were here in the photo section someone dumped them.

mastercraft
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14201

Postby mastercraft » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:18 pm

definitely a interesting build!!

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”