This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Project: LoBoy Custom

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ihcc104
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06469
eBay ID: MoodusMan101
Tractors Owned: :
Cub Cadet Original
Cub Cadet 104 (2)
Cub Lo-Boy 154 (2)
Jacobsen Chief 100 Deluxe

Re: Project: LoBoy Custom

Postby ihcc104 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:36 pm

Very Cool project, and nice fabricating on those pieces throughout it, I will be following this one!

Cory Sanderson

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 11941

Postby tyrtrax » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:43 am

ihcc104 wrote:Very Cool project, and nice fabricating on those pieces throughout it, I will be following this one!

Thanks Cory, much appreciated. We did a bit more the last couple days. Some pretty exciting stuff(to us) to share :fing32:

Work started with altering the angle of the grill. The 53 Farmall in it's original state sloped. Our task was to make it flat, 90 degrees to the frame. After mulling several methods we decided to cut a wedge from the middle of each grill section. Basically, the wedge tapered from 1-1/2 wide to a point. Here's the cut.

An original on left, tacked up altered on right.

After a LOT of fitting, bending, hammers and dollies, hammers and anvil, tacking and twisting, we had this in the end.

After fitment, I think the lines are good, but it's just too long. We'll be cutting several inches, about three, off the bottom. After which we'll be adding a custom valence to the bottom. I want it to mimic, somewhat, the features of the grill top. The prominent center rib, and rounded sides. Problem is, we don't have that. Time for a trip to the Gravelyard.

We found a Gravely L hood, with a nice center rib.

To better replicate the look we want, the hoods features will be reconfigured a bit. That's for another day.

Believe it, or not, this work took Mike and I about 5 or 6 hours. It was tedious, but enjoyable. After that I said, let's have some fun. Let's mock this puppy up. And so we gathered the major components that will be fused together. The '53 Farmall grill and center rib, the '49 Cub gas tank and support dash, wood Grants steering wheel, and a very old leather/wicker seat. The goal was to get to see the rough lines of the LBC. Whether the look we had in our head was coming through. And obviously, these are not the final lines. The center rib will be shortened considerably, and fitted to the tanked and grill. The steering wheel will be lower. But to see the rough lines was exciting. I think we're on the right track.

After we finished up and I found a chair and a 12 ounce hand cooler, my wife and her mom stopped over to the shop. My 77 yo mil looks at the LBC and says, "I didn't know you had an old race car". That WAS cool :fing32:

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:11 am

Hope this isn't against the rules, but I was wondering if anyone out there has a spare Cub gas tank like the one used in this project? Could be off any IH of similar style. I need one for the "boattail" section on this build. Leaking, dented within reason, is fine. Looking for something reasonable. Thanks!

Ellis

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:27 pm

Check with some of the people on here like TST. Could also check with several graveyards nearby.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:31 pm

JP Tractor Salvage will probably have what you're looking for and in the condition you're interested in.
Jim

Circle of Safety

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:42 am

Urbish wrote:JP Tractor Salvage will probably have what you're looking for and in the condition you're interested in.

Thanks to both posters for your help with resources. I see what I did was a no-no here, and for that I apologize. Won't happen again :surrender:

Should be posting some further progress soon. Did some research in 154 manuals concerning the steering. It should be quite interesting to noodle out the routes and linkage necessary. Stay tuned.

GreaseMnky85
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49242

Postby GreaseMnky85 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:16 pm

This is amazing work! Will be interesting to see the fel and backhoe

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:36 am

Believe it, or not, there has been progress on the Speedster. Little things here and there. Small in themselves, but they are starting to add up to determining the final shape of this ride. I got off work at 3pm yesterday and as luck would have it there was nothing pressing on the docket. Got in the shop at 3:30 and got to play uninterrupted till 9:30!

Split time between working on my Kubota 6200 and the LoBoy. Decided to do something fun. Let's get a tail on this torpedo! In my mind's eye, speedsters, early racers, many times had that long, teardrop shaped, tail. I love that look. After some noodling, I came up with the idea to use an old tractor gas tank, and modify it to get the look I wanted. The ultimate would be using a vintage Farmall tank, as that ties into the IH roots the Speedster has. After combing eBay, and seeing the prices, coupled with shipping, I decided to be patient and put the word out. About two months ago my oldest brother called and said he found a nice one. And true to our families form, he informed me "it didn't come cheap". Anyhoo after a little bit of friendly bantering and associated BB busting............the tank was mine. My thanks to my big bro.

Here's the tank. First impressions? This thing is HEAVY! I'd say, easy 50 lbs. Ugly paint, full of rust, but solid as a rock and straight as an arrow. The tank at it's widest was 20". The '53 Farmall grill I modded is 17". The '49 Cub gas tank is 15". After looking at the tank's features, I decided to narrow the tank to 16", not including the seam flange that circles the perimeter.

Also, would love it if someone could identify the donor tractor of this tank. It would be great to attach the history to it.

Here's the tank after I used masking tape to mark off the 4" band that would be cut out. This was kind of tedious. Finding center, and maintaining straight lines over/off curved surfaces was a bit of a challenge for this shoe maker.

After the cuts, including the interior baffles. Reminded me of Harley splits.

No need for the filler anymore.

New width, shape.

Liked the results. It was kind of a flyer. I had a look in my head, made the cuts and hoped I didn't screw up. Now, onto getting it mounted.

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:40 am

Awesome project, can't wait for the final result!
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:49 am

Good to see you back at it, I have really enjoyed following this!

Thanks,
David

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:02 pm

Whew! Great work. This is going to be quite the machine when you are done.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:07 pm

Glad to see you posting again as I have enjoyed watching your progress. As to the donor tractor, that appears to be a tank off of a Farmall H. They had the filler offset due to the center steering shaft. The Farmall M tank is similar, but I think it had different lugs for the spring loaded hood retainer latches to hook onto.
Jim

Circle of Safety

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:57 am

Thanks for the kind words, and the warm welcome back, folks :hattip: The project will take time(years), but history has shown they do get done. On a bit of a roll right now, between having some time to work and a really strong want to see all the tins in place. This will let me see the lines, and stance, of the Speedster. My goal is two weeks to get there. Thanks for hanging in there, stay tuned :D

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:14 pm

Urbish wrote:Glad to see you posting again as I have enjoyed watching your progress. As to the donor tractor, that appears to be a tank off of a Farmall H. They had the filler offset due to the center steering shaft. The Farmall M tank is similar, but I think it had different lugs for the spring loaded hood retainer latches to hook onto.

I'm sorry, I meant to thank you in my previous post for the info. I've had another person say the way to tell the difference between the H tank and the M tank is the width. An M being 20" wide and an H being 18-1/2". Mine was 20" before cutting. He had nothing to confirm that, so I'm still not sure. But it would seem pretty certain that we're dealing with either/or.

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:52 am

Got about 3 hours in the shop yesterday. Worked on the seat mount and the tail. Here's a pic of the tank propped up, and the seat mounted.

Here's a pic from the rear. Some may notice that the rims and tires are different from the originals. They were 19" rims with mismatched tires. These are 21" rims with matching vintage Firestones. They also have authentic center caps. Got super lucky on CL..........$300 for the whole shebang!!!

So I'm thinking I'll see the tank and seat together and have that "oooooo", "ahhhhhhh" moment. Not the case, quite disappointed. The seat isn't going to work. The tank needs to rise and come forward a bit. I have some ideas for mounting brackets, etc. Also the seat will be two piece. One flat pad for the seat, and one for the back mounted to the tank. This will make for a much better transition. One that seems designed.

On a good note....it sure was nice sitting in that seat, rock solid. I got to measure the pedals, shift through the gears, mock the steering wheel. Felt awesome. Overall, a day of learning, some cool, some not so cool. Oh well.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”