This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 cub timing problem

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
carl davis
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 08352

154 cub timing problem

Postby carl davis » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:53 am

hey guys, I am trying to get my cub low boy 154 in time? but having trouble, everything I see or read says # 1 plug wire in cap should be at about 1,0clock position but my cap on inside has the #1 mark at the #4 position? so do I go by my cap? or #1 position at 1,0clock? and follow rotation clock wise from there? 1-3-4-2, I have looked at three cubs and all have #1 at 1,0clock! also having trouble with setting the rotor? should it be lined up right on #1 or a little before or after? when I bring it up on tdc. by taking plugs out and using my thumb over hole theres only one comp. stroke that brings the pointer on the mark, when I put distributer in lined up on # 1 I get nothing I am mech. inclined but this has got me stomped!!! please I need help!!!!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: 154 cub timing problem

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:28 am

Sounds like your distributor is half a round out. You can put the wires in to match, but the distributor should have drain holes that are turned down or nearly down.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:33 am

Have you checked for battery voltage to the points? Do you get a spark from the coil plug wire?

Did you install new points? Gap the points? Clean the contacts on the points? Make sure the point's spring is on the correct side of the insulator?

How to set the points and time the ignition to the tractor is best done by a one on one, hands on demonstration.

The task is not overly complicated, but there are a number of things that need to be correct. And quite a number of things that can be wrong.

Use the search function, top of page, for discussions on setting the points and timing the engine. Also use the search function, looking for static timing.

The engine set on #1 cylinder TDC, install the distributor so that the rotor points to #1 plug tower on the distributor cap and the points are just starting to open. This process is static timing the engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

VMBanner
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70737
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub (12v conversion); 1950 Farmall Cub (12 V conversion); 1968 John Deere 140H1 (stock); 1972 Cub Low Boy

Postby VMBanner » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:33 am

Carl, I had a significant timing issue with my '48 Cub which has the same engine as your low boy. I did not resolve it until I:
1. opened the distributor
2. Took out all the spark plugs.
3. Put my finger over #1 cylinder until I felt pressure
4. confirmed Top Dead Center by looking through the spark plug hole and seeing the edge of the piston flush with the block. I bumped the engine with the starter (I had put new rings and bearings and it was hard to turn by hand) to move the pistons.
5. Install/Move distributor to align with #1 wire to rotor

This method confirms where the rotor will be when #1 piston is at TDC. Mark the engine as needed. I had to remark my crank pulley since #1 TDC is about 90 degrees from the factory mark.
This Cub gave me fits to get started until I used this method. Just be careful with your had that close to the fan and the engine should be cold. Good luck.