This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

clutch problem

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
chevy1ton
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46041

clutch problem

Postby chevy1ton » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:21 pm

I bought the clutch brake plugs and put them on went to drive the tractor everything worked fine. went out a week later and tried to start the tractor and the motor wouldn't turn over so looked to see if there was a problem else where and didt find anything. so I adjusted the clutch brake and the motor turned over like normal so I tried to put it in gear and was grinding gears so I readjusted the clutch brake then I noticed that there was a burning smell coming from the clutch brake so I tried to adjust it to where it would quit riding on the clutch and it started grinding gears again. just trying to figure out if there is something else wrong with it.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: clutch problem

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:32 pm

It sounds to me that the clutch brake isn't your problem but that your main clutch isn't releasing completely. Check the main clutch adjustment.

chevy1ton
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby chevy1ton » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:35 pm

where do I do that im new to the tractor world

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:44 pm

You need to look at the clutch section of the Owner's Manual. If you don't have a copy, you can get it from the PDF Manuals option at the top of this page. Go there then select:
Number Series Cubs
Cub-154 Lo-Boy
and the 11/73 edition of the Owner's Manual.

Here is a shortcut:
http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php?dirpath=./files/Number%20Series%20Cubs/Cub-154%20Lo-Boy&order=0

On about page 37 are diagrams of the 2 styles of clutch used on the 154. One or the other will match your tractor. There are instructions along with the diagrams. The main clutch adjustment is done near the pivot shaft of the clutch pedal.

chevy1ton
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby chevy1ton » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:04 pm

okay thanks fro the help

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:10 pm

While checking for clutch disk to flywheel clearance, grease the clutch release bearing.

Operator's manual, lubrication chart.

Edit: There is a bushing in the pressure plate that the main clutch shaft rides in.

2nd Edit: The main clutch shaft may be sticking in the pressure plate bushing (pilot shaft bushing). I don't know if light weight oil can be applied without partially removing or sliding the drive shaft forward.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:26 pm

If the throw out bearing is like mine there is NO way to grease it!---it does NOT have a grease fitting in it and has never had one in it!!---that's now another one of my warm weather fix-its before I can mow with it again!---clutch is now completely gone!---too much slop in the parts to adjust anything so it will work! thanks; sonny

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:01 pm

The throw out bearing zerk is located on top. There is a hole in the panel in front of the seat. You are suppose to be able to reach the zerk by passing the grease gun hose or tubing through the hole. But with the hose or tubing in the way you can not see the zerk.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:30 pm

I don't have a zerk, period!---have the tunnel cover off and had my hands under/over and front/back! NO zerk!---was this another original IH blunder, OR was mine a third party (china) made bearing that someone stuck in there?---anyhoo now I gotta put another one in!---will probable take more parts off the other 185 to keep this one running, since this one is the 6-speed dude and its my favorite one!---I put a LOT of hours on this one mowing/bush-hoggin/etc.--engine still seems ok! thanks; sonny

64/67lo-boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23453
Tractors Owned: .
48 cub
67 loboy
52 super c
74 cub 154
50 c

Postby 64/67lo-boy » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:21 am

Sounds like your clutch disc is stuck to your preasure plate. Happens to mine every so often. Mine is parked outside and not started for months at a time. I park on a slight hill get it warmed up then shut it off put it in gear then start it up going down the hill. once it starts hold the clutch in and the working preasure of the rear wheels breaks it loose again. doesnt take much but it is a pain when it happens.
Pete from Virginia Beach

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:48 pm

Just looked at the other 185 and it does have zerk on top of it and not all broke up like the NO-grease -No zerk one, so I will be removing that one and putting it in my 6-speed unit! ---Looks like now the other 185 needs to have the HYDRO-DRIVE installed in it!! LOL!!---It still needs a seal put in the transmission input shaft, but engine and tires are excellent, so why not!!! ---thanks; sonny