This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lo Boy 154 vapor lock (?)

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cdon
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 32216

Lo Boy 154 vapor lock (?)

Postby cdon » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:05 am

just joined the cub family. Enjoy this forum very much. First time out my 154 appeared to get a case of vapor lock. Very hot day here in North Florida, high grass, new operator cutting too low, etc. I was working the little tractor pretty hard. While mowing I could once in a while smell gasoline vapors but was not sure of the source.

tractor lost power, stuttered and finally shut off. would not start. While it was not running, I could hear a burble sound from fuel tank. Took the cap off and could see what I would describe as fuel percolating in the tank. Overheated fuel tank was my guess.

After about 15 minutes of sitting still, I tried to start it again and used a bit of choke. It started up and I ran it home (non under much load, and without the blades engaged) all the way home. Has not repeated this behavior, but then again I have not worked it as hard as I did that first time out.

Was this vapor lock (?) Steel line to carb has been replaced by a previous owner with rubber fuel hose, BTW. Anything to be worried about. Tractor seems to run fine otherwise.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Lo Boy 154 vapor lock (?)

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:36 pm

cdon wrote:Was this vapor lock (?)
Quite probable. Gasoline starts to boil/vaporize at 100 degrees F.
Steel line to carb has been replaced by a previous owner with rubber fuel hose. Anything to be worried about.
This is a debatable topic. Some folks believe rubber fuel line is a fire hazard. Others have used rubber fuel line for years without a problem.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Re: Lo Boy 154 vapor lock (?)

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:15 am

Might want to make sure the front of the radiator is not blocked with grass, seeds, etc. from mowing the tall weeds. Also, verify that the antifreeze / coolant is above the cooling fins of the radiator. If there isn't enough in there then the coolant won't circulate.

Also, make sure that your gas tank vent is not blocked. The tractor could have been starving for fuel due to a vacuum built up in the tank.

Lastly, run it again. If it dies again and then starts up after it cools down, then you might need to replace the coil.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”