This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Throw out bearing Rattle

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brando4151
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46911

Throw out bearing Rattle

Postby Brando4151 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:22 am

Hello all,
I just replaced the clutch in my 154 and for the life of me I could not get the new throw out bearing I bought as well onto the drive shaft. I didn't have any reason to believe the old one was bad so I figured I would save the new one for later. Well I put it all back together and the old throw out bearing seems to work fine but is a little loose on the drive shaft so it rattles a bit. Can anyone see any problem with this? Shouldn't it just wear it self out or am I looking at possibly ruining another part?

seahaul
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28538
Tractors Owned: LoBoy 185 with Woods mower
LoBoy 184 with Woods mower and 3-pt
LoBoy 184 with RM59-LB mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Throw out bearing Rattle

Postby seahaul » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:55 am

A loose fitting throw out bearing will continue to rattle worse and worse as it wears more. But it also will wear down the drive shaft so that even a new throw out bearing will be so loose it will rattle too. I just had to replace a drive shaft like that.
But why did the new throw out bearing not fit on the shaft? It should slide onto the shaft fairly easily. You may need to check the diameter of the drive shaft to make sure a prior owner didn't replace it or have it built up larger than standard. At some point you will have to replace the throw out bearing with a new one so this problem needs to be resolved.
Charlie

Brando4151
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46911

Postby Brando4151 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:41 pm

Thanks for the reply Charlie. I thought it was odd as well that it would not fit. I'm not sure what the issue is. I'll get it apart again here in a few weeks before the snow comes and see if I can't figure it out. I should have taken my time in the first place to resolve the problem but I did not think it was that loose!

seahaul
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28538
Tractors Owned: LoBoy 185 with Woods mower
LoBoy 184 with Woods mower and 3-pt
LoBoy 184 with RM59-LB mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby seahaul » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:56 pm

Here's another suggestion: HamiltonBobsCubs is a great source not only for parts but for information. They sell a new drive shaft and should be able to tell you what the diameter of a new shaft should be in case you want to check yours for being standard. They are great people to deal with and I recommend them highly.
Charlie

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:23 pm

did you grease it?
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.