This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Another Sad Tractor Fatality

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Another Sad Tractor Fatality

Postby ricky racer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:58 am

Another tractor accident causing a fatality. This happened just a few miles from my house. An examination of the photograph reveals that the hook point was high on the tractor instead of from the drawbar. It appears to me the strap was hooked to the mount for the top link. I remember the previous owner of my ’53 Cub told be about one time trying to pull a tree and for whatever reason, they hooked the chain to the end of the Rock Shaft instead of the drawbar. He said that they nearly flipped the Cub and scared them to death. Be careful out there guys…

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/pu ... 9bdd0.html

1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: Another Sad Tractor Fatality

Postby Barnyard » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:13 am

Thanks Rick. I wonder how many guys have tried to pull a stump and had the front end come up in the air and not think of the danger that could follow. And then you have the guy who just has to give it every thing with a running start and flip in an instant.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:54 am

Even when you are doing things correctly it can get you, much less doing anything wrong. Several years ago I was cleaning out road ditches in the spring with my rear mount disk plow. I still had the chains on from plowing snow, so I had plenty of traction. I was moving up hill in first gear at between 1/3 and 1/2 throttle when the disk caught on a rock. Normally the disk plow blade will simply roll around or over a rock, but someway it hung on this one. Before I could even react, the right front wheel was about 6 inches off the ground. I did NOT lean over to check the left one. Working in a situation like that I always ride with my left foot about 1/2 to 1 inch above the clutch pedal, and as soon as forward motion stopped that threw my weight forward enough that I pushed the clutch pedal down and everything stopped and the wheel came back down. All was well, but it sure got my attention.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:53 pm

Our farrier rolled his 8N while trying to load it on a trailer. Broke his left arm and some bruising. He showed me a picture, the tractor and 3 pt. mower were completely upside down. I know he's happy that it didn't turn out worse.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:09 pm

So sad that maybe the loss of life might have been avoided by the fitting of an anti-roll bar. I have never actually farmed with a Cub but it would seem to me they are more susceptible to turn over than other vintage tractors. I have worked with Fergusons and a safety bar is a must on them. So one cannot be too careful. Our prayers and thoughts are with the deceased's family and friends.
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

Return to “Safety Forum”