This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

swooping (skydiving )

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

swooping (skydiving )

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:50 pm

Our local paper had an article about this contest out at our municipal airport which has a skydiving company there. The jumpers, at about 1000 feet up, go into a dive, and then when about 10-20 feet off of the ground swing horizontal and skim across a lake trying to keep one foot in the water through a series of four gates. At the end of the gates, they flair up and try to touch down at a certain marker. Also do speed, and distance through the course. My stomach was flipping just watching them do the dive. The canopies they use are 75-125 sq. ft. Fortunately, no accidents while I was there.

Bob

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:53 pm

I think I'll just drive my cubs.....................
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:55 pm

I used to skydive when I was younger. Then I grew up. :lol:
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Postby Kodiak » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:55 am

Bigdog, I'm with you :!: I think falling off my Cub seat is too far to fall :cry:
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:12 am

It's hard for me to imagine a rational person jumping out of a perfectly good airplane that is not on fire.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:34 am

When in the Army I went to school for parachuting. It was nothing like that, more for getting from point “A” to “B” very quickly. I was very scared my first jump, I wet my fatigues. When I was picked up I was trying to make excuses why my trouser legs were wet, then I noticed most first timers legs were wet also. The reason for going to that particular school was to try to stay out of combat. The more schools you went to the more chances you had to be put in a training position.

No it didn’t work, and parachuting along with football gave me bad knees.

George said:
It's hard for me to imagine a rational person jumping out of a perfectly good airplane that is not on fire.

It’s not as bad as you think. After you get use to “jumping” its fun. One thing I always did was, pack my own chute.

Now, even if that plane is on fire I’ll ride it down :!: :!: :!:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:03 pm

I have to agree with George on this one....

Being in the Senior Service... we Navy types who were forced to fly to neat places like Inuvik and Alert in Herky Birds... never were too comfortable with the idea of having to exit an aircraft that was anymore than ZERO inches above a runway :!: :arrow: :roll: :shock: :lol:

Why anyone in their right mind would willingly jump our of a perfectly serviceable aircraft is (meant humourously) either:
    1. Daft
    2. Slightly cranially chanllenged
    3. A fool
    4. Drunk out of his ever loving mind
    5. High on something other than the aspirin the MO prescribed for him and most likely an illegal substance

or is a pongo in which case, all of the above may apply.. :roll: :oops: :roll: :shock: :? :arrow: :wink: :lol: :lol:

We have a local sky-diving school, which apparently is a pretty safe operation.. but when one does take the chance and jumps out of an aircraft, well then, all bets are off.. you never know what will happen...

I think it was two years ago, we had a local skydiver fall to her death after going up for her first jump.. I think she was just 20 or so.... I have made my kids promise me that they will never do anything so foolish as that... or bungee jumping or anything remotely close.

I may be over-reacting.. but that is my reaction as a father. Unless it is absolutely necessary.. or is in connection with Military Service.. then exiting a perfectly serviceable aircraft is not only foolhardy.. it is taking your life in your hands...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Wise Owl
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Wise Owl » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:05 am

I always wanted to learn how to skydive :D but only managed to get to the SCUBA Diving which I did a lot of before all the babies came along!!! I found SCUBA Diving to be very relaxing and beautiful. :D

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:08 pm

You should go for the skydive Wise Owl. Its a blast. Also, I have seen and been in the skydive aircraft and believe me they are NOT perfectly serviceable :D.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:11 pm

Carm:

She may wanna go... but I gots the chains holding her down :!: :arrow: :idea: It would probably be a blast, and I have thought about it over the years.. but those fleeting moments in insanity soon depart quickly. :wink: :roll: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:15 pm

I wanted to try skydiving in my younger days, but now I take too long to heal. :P
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:35 pm

Skydiving is one of those sports best enjoyed by watching others from the comfort and security of good ol' mother earth!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Wise Owl
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Wise Owl » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:25 pm

Bigdog wrote:Skydiving is one of those sports best enjoyed by watching others from the comfort and security of good ol' mother earth!

Sure but what's the fun in that? Where is the adrenalin rush? :D Where is your sense of adventure guys? Oh I get it, probably at the same place as Rudi's. :D :D Oh well :!:

Hey, any S.C.U.B.A Divers out there?

Wise Owl
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Wise Owl » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:42 pm

Carm wrote:You should go for the skydive Wise Owl. Its a blast. Also, I have seen and been in the skydive aircraft and believe me they are NOT perfectly serviceable :D.
Some day when my other half releases the reins :!: :!: :D

I have been trying to get my girls to try different stuff. You know the adventurous stuff. :D :wink: So far I have managed to get some of them to try martial arts with me, running and we had 2 of our girls in Provincial Rugby last year (Now that is an adrenalin pumping sport.)

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:53 pm

Wise Owl wrote:
Bigdog wrote:Skydiving is one of those sports best enjoyed by watching others from the comfort and security of good ol' mother earth!

Sure but what's the fun in that? Where is the adrenalin rush? :D Where is your sense of adventure guys? Oh I get it, probably at the same place as Rudi's. :D :D Oh well :!:

Hey, any S.C.U.B.A Divers out there?

I haven't been diving since I lost all my equipment in a disastrous fire 44 years ago. My diving was done in the days of double hose regulators. I doubt my wet suit would fit nowdays. :( It was shortly after that event I took up flying. :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Off Topic”