This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A Close Call

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

A Close Call

Postby Dan England » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:11 pm

I have a neighbor who raises, trains and races Thoroughbred horses. I went by their stable yesterday to drop off a book which I thought they would like to read. As I entered the doorway a dog on a chain walked up to me. He didn't show any signs of aggression and I really didn't pay any attention and continued to walk by him. All of a sudden he latched on to my thumb, removing half of the nail and a small portion of the tip of the thumb. From there, things happened so fast that I don't remember thinking of what I should do. I think that I lunged backwards. The dog released my thumb and latched on to me in the hip region. I was wearing coveralls and he got a good grip on them. His teeth were set and my backward movement ripped the entire right side of the clothing off from my waist to my shoe. I felt his teeth on my hips and I thought he probably had taken a chunk of flesh. Anyway, I fell away from him and the chain wouldn't allow him to reach me again. As it turned out, he not only ripped off my coveralls but also removed a baseball sized section from my undershorts but did not get any flesh. Had I been an inch closer, he would have had a grip on my leg and would have inflicted serious injury before the owner could have gotten him off. I was lucky. I will have a sore thumb for a couple of weeks but am not harmed otherwise. I could have been facing a prolonged hospital stay. PLEASE CONSIDER A STRANGE DOG AS A DANGEROUS DOG. I plan to do so in the future. Dan

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:34 pm

Your are lucky Dan. It could have been a very serious injury or even a fatal one.

I dont trust any dogs anymore since I have had a few bad experiences with unknown to me dogs. I am getting too old to fight them off anymore. When I was in My 20s I killed a german shepard that attacked me with My bare hands. Never could understand how I did it but I guess fear & adrenlin kicked in and allowed me to choke the life out of it.
Then came Bronson

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:03 pm

Dan,

Glad you came through the experience relatively unharmed. I'd be interested to hear what the owner's reaction was to the episode.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:22 pm

Don: The owners, man and wife, were quite shaken by the event. They kept inquiring as to whether I was hurt, even tho I assured them that little damage was done. They apologized over and over and asked repeatedly how they could make things right with me. I am sure that they could imagine lawsuits, at least that would be a natural thought, but beyond that, they were truely concerned about my condition and possible injury. I stated in my first post that I was very lucky. I also think that the owners were very lucky. I believe that the dog is chained near the entrance of the stables at night and when the owners are gone to prevent tampering with the horses. The dog is removed and placed in a stall during the day when visitors might be present. I went by fairly early in the morning and they just hadn't returned him to the stall for the day. I would imagine that this will be the first action of the day in the future. The owners are my friends and they will continue to be my friends. At some time in our life, we each get careless and endanger ourself or someone else. Sometimes we get lucky, as in this case. Dan

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:03 pm

Sounds like you have good friends. I'm afraid there are some out there that would have been more concerned for the dog than for you. And yes, they are very lucky. Especially lucky that you didn't have a child with you. I am always a little leery of dogs that don't know me, regardless of how friendly they seem.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:17 pm

Glad it wasn't anymore serious :!: :!: And you still have the body parts to give up for some rain :lol: :lol:
8)

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:41 pm

That is a good one, Donny. You caught me off-guard on your last statement but I am proud to report that all is well. Dan

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:25 pm

Don:
Make sure the dog has his shots. Watch for infection. You are lucky.
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:26 pm

WOW! Glad you're OK Dan. Could have been worse...without that chain! Regardless of the hole...I'd have probably ruined the shorts! :lol: :lol:

Seriously, is a tetnous shot in order? :(

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:39 pm

Dan:

Yup, close call. Ain't nothing worse that a ticked off guard dog doing what he was trained to do. We all tend to get a little complacent as time goes by, and when we do we run risks of getting hurt, or worse. Thank God that all you did was ruin a good pair of coverall and shorts and that what did get hurt was only a smidgen compared to what it could have been.... :shock: :roll: :(

I don't think too much will happen. Dogs are rather clean animals relatively speaking, and the dog is around horses and other animals, so his shots should be up to date. Rabies etc., should not be a great concern.

I imagine your neighbours are besides themselves, and I hope that y'all recover easily.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:01 pm

Dan just glad you were not facing the other way.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:26 pm

Beaconlilght, I sure will agree with that statement. A dreadful thought. Dan

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:23 pm

Beaconlight: Are you suggesting that had I been facing the other way that my forum name could be changed from" Dan England" to "Shorthorn"? Just wondering. Dan

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:38 am

:lol:
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

double R
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby double R » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:50 pm

If the dog was mine I would put him down. A dog like that will get the owner in big trouble sooner or latter.

Return to “Off Topic”