This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

THE FLU

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
freebird
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby freebird » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:09 am

I've had the flu shot for this year. Woke up last Sat with clogged sinuses, the next day in my chest. Went to the doc and am diagnosed with bronchitis. I am taking a 1 week dose of arithromyacin and I have a inhaler too. Haven't worked all week, no energy to even get firewood in.
Tell the truth, there's less to remember!

'52 standard cub
'56 lo-boy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23047

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:04 pm

George Willer wrote:I'm curious whether you guys getting flu had the shots?

I don't take flu shots, the effectiveness is doubtful (the vaccines have to be made a year before and are only a guess as to which strain will be needed) http://www.mercola.com/2003/dec/17/flu_vaccine.htm
and the mercury in them is no small concern.http://www.mercola.com/2005/sep/20/new_flu_vaccine_is_loaded_with_mercury.htm
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=36677

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:51 pm

Flu shots are a guessing game played by the government and the vaccine producers. Your annual flu shot protects against 3 specific strains of respiratory influenza viruses and provide marginal protection against about 20 other strains. Your immune system will protect you against reinfection of most influenza viruses you've had in your past. However, there are thousands of strains to choose from and more evolve each year.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2005/03/02/flu-strains050302.html

The gastrointestinal problems are different - they are usually bacteria or viruses that you ingest either from food or your hands or directly from an infected individual. The gastrointestinal problems can also be caused by parasites, becoming more common than many people realize thanks to global travel.

The best protection is soap, water and heat. In other words, wash your hands often, kill the bugs with heat (only eat hot food and disinfect your utensils with hot, soapy water) and don't eat after carriers (particularly the school-age kiddies).
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:04 pm

Lurker Carl wrote:Flu shots are a guessing game played by the government and the vaccine producers. Your annual flu shot protects against 3 specific strains of respiratory influenza viruses and provide marginal protection against about 20 other strains. Your immune system will protect you against reinfection of most influenza viruses you've had in your past. However, there are thousands of strains to choose from and more evolve each year.

Carl,

What you say is very true but some of us can't afford to play guessing games with our health and take every precaution we can. It's quite an experience riding in the EMS van with the siren blaring but it should be avoided if possible. :( For us the flu is more than an inconvenience... it's life threatening!
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:12 pm

Well I do not believe I had the Flu. I think I had a virus. There is one going around the area. I threw up 3 or 4 times slept the whole day was so sore and weak I could no get up only to throw up and get the 10 foot to the bath room. I was able to dring 6 hours after the last heave and the next morning had a temp of 97.3 but sweat was rolling off my brow. felt better and better as the day went on30 hours 36 hours feel real good 48 hours went out hunting maybe not 100% but not real sick. I have had the flu before about 15 years ago and it did not seem like this how ever this is the first year I did not get a flu shot in quite a few. they had a shortage and I did not want to wait for hours in line to get one.
JON

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:43 pm

For us the flu is more than an inconvenience... it's life threatening!

That's why I stay home. Flu would put my wife on a ventilator which she most likly would not come off of.
Young man for work, old man for advice

Return to “Off Topic”