This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Vanishing words from our language...

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Vanishing words from our language...

Postby Hengy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:12 pm

Hey there all. A friend forwarded the following to me in an e-mail. I like it and thought I would share with you all! - Anyone think of some other ones that are gone or dying?

I came across this phrase yesterday "FENDER SKIRTS". A term I haven't heard in a long time and thinking about "fender skirts" started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice like "curb feelers"

And "steering knobs." (AKA) suicide knob

Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first.

Any kids will probably have to find some elderly person over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember "Continental kits?" They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.

When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?" At some point "parking brake" became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with "emergency brake."

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the "foot feed."

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could ride the "running board" up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore - "store-bought." Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.

"Coast to coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the term "world wide" for granted This floors me.

On a smaller scale, "wall-to-wall" was once a magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure.

When's the last time you heard the quaint phrase "in a family way?" It's hard to imagine that the word "pregnant" was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company So we had all that talk about stork visits and "being in a family way" or simply"expecting."

Apparently "brassiere" is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other day and my daughter cracked up. I guess it's just "bra" now "Unmentionables" probably wouldn't be understood at all.

I always loved going to the "picture show," but I considered "movie" an affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-'60s word I came across the other day - "rat fink." Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss - "percolator." That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with? "Coffee maker." How dull. Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro. Words like "DynaFlow" and "Electrolux." Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with "SpectraVision!"

Food for thought - Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers threatening kids with castor oil anymore.

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves me most "supper." Now everybody says "dinner." Save a great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts.
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 pm

oddly enough i've heard and probally used all these words :!: do you think this means we are just getting old :?: here's a phrase for you "kaddie bar the door".
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:02 pm

Mike,

I could think of a lot of the old words that are no longer used, but I'm most concerned about the old ones that are now mis-spelled. :( The most common one I see is when folks type loose when they really mean lose. It seems the wrong spelling is most common. Loose rhymes with "goose" and lose rhymes with "ooze", at least they did when I went to grade school.

One small step for mankind... :)
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:25 pm

Unfortunately, here's a list that are still part of the language, but too seldom used: :(

Please
Thank You
Yes Ma'am
No Ma'am
Yes Sir
No Sir
Christmas
God
I'm Sorry
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:48 pm

George Willer wrote:Mike,

I could think of a lot of the old words that are no longer used, but I'm most concerned about the old ones that are now mis-spelled. :(

One small step for mankind... :)

Mr. GW... Couldn't agree more. My Dad was an English Major in college and always ALWAYS harped on spelling and grammar. I hate it when I see a post where I have misspelled stuff...just ticks me right off!!!

The one grammar thing that bothers me the most now is when people don't get the "Me" or "I" right in a sentence... It bugs the DICKENS out of me...or is it bugs the dickens out of "I??" Dad always told me that when in doubt, take the other person's name out of it...if it sounds right, then it probably is. For instance: "I bought some chicken for Grace and ____ to share" Take the you out of the sentence and it just doesn't make sense to say "I bought some chicken for 'I'" Therefore it must be "I bought some chicken for Grace and me"...

Just my little pet-peeve of mine. Now you know how to really get my brain spinning!!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:22 pm

Cooter Hull. When I tell the kids to go get something out of or put something in the cars Cooter Hull, they don't have an idea. Or Gas Pedal either. Or Glove box. "You mean the glove compartment"?

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Postby tnestell » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:42 pm

I ain't no Inglish major, but I's fixing to git mo-better. Ted-Bob

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:47 pm

well this should get your bottom red, how about git yar britches on we are going to town!
Jim Turner

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:34 pm

Mike: That steering wheel knob you reference was called a "guffer's knob" in "the day". It should be pointed out that your list went from cars to women's undergarments to coffee - do I sense a pattern here ?? Craig

Jim Reid
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Reid » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:54 pm

And i thought these words were only used in the south.if you ever drove a red belly ford with the steering knob on it we called them knuckle busters.
Jim

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:15 pm

Jim Reid wrote:And i thought these words were only used in the south.if you ever drove a red belly ford with the steering knob on it we called them knuckle busters.
Jim

Jim,

When they were on old Chevys they were "necker knobs". I knew a guy who had the shift lever on his old '41 Plymouth flopped over to the other side for left hand control. My older Chevy was still the original floor shift... straight out of the transmission.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:56 pm

You're jogging my memory with this topic. My late father used to say "fits like socks on a rooster" which he applied to many and varied situations. The baby Moon hubcaps were "nut covers" and the little fabric balls that guys hung around the windows etc were called "dingle berries" !! Go figure, but they were the good old days.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:34 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Unfortunately, here's a list that are still part of the language, but too seldom used: :(

Please
Thank You
Yes Ma'am
No Ma'am
Yes Sir
No Sir
Christmas
God
I'm Sorry

Don,

Seldom used :?: :?: Not in my house :!:
8)

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:03 am

Right on Donny,
I was told my wife and I are to strict with our Kids , making sure they respect there elders , and show respect to others, whether they deserve it or not. The folks who tell me this have been married 2-3 times and have forgotten to respect each other, how can they teach those looking to them for guidance.
Folks try to correct what I call, a Bicycle is actually a "BIKE", what is a unicycle called Then?

Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:12 am

Geting words speeled right is for smart people and that leaves me out.
Just getting them to sound right is a big chore.
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

Return to “Off Topic”