This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Metal Lathe Price Question

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374
Circle of Safety: Y

Metal Lathe Price Question

Postby farmallcub49 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:09 pm

I stopped by an parishoner/friend of mine today. He is dying from cancer slowly. He is a retired operating engineer. He can do anything he wants from plumbing to fabricating. He gave me a tour of his shop which is very nice. Inside he has a lathe among many other tools. I inquired whether or not he would sell it. He didn't know, he said he was in limbo about all his tools. He had bought it so long ago, he couldn't remember the price. It is a Sheldon lathe. I don't recall the size and I didn't have my camera along. I was wondering what a fair price would be? Also, is this a good lathe to buy for the shadetree/weekend/BEGINNING Machinist??

Thanks
'49 Cub, '58 LoBoy,'61 LoBoy, '61 Modified LoBoy, '61 Customized LoBoy, way to many attachments, '22 Centerdoor Sedan, '24 Ford T Roadster, '25 Ford TT, '24 C Cab, '13 Touring, '24 Model T Snowmobile,

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:30 pm

It depends a lot on how it was treated from the beginning but Sheldon is a very good lathe. I expect your friend would tell you about any of its shortcomings. I'll assume it's a toolroom lathe that wasn't used for production work.

Remember, the larger they are the harder they are to move but they all work around a common center. Small lathes bring higher prices because of hobbyists.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:31 pm

Sheldon is an excellent machine, size, condition, and tooling will determine value. In my area a decent 10,11, or 12 inch with basic tooling will bring around 1500.