This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tips from Progressive to avoid deer

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Tips from Progressive to avoid deer

Postby pete1941 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:05 am

Thought you all might be interested in these tips that just came from Progressive Ins. on avoiding deer.

Progressive offers these tips for staying safe:

• Do not swerve to avoid hitting the deer, which could result in loss of control or hitting another vehicle. Swerving is the reason for most deer-related deaths and injuries.

• In the event of a deer collision, brake firmly and keep the steering wheel straight. Stay in your lane to avoid hitting other vehicles.

• Do not rely on deer whistles and other deer-deterrent devices. They have not been proven effective.

• When driving at night, use your high beams when there is no oncoming traffic. The lights cause deer's eyes to glow, making them more visible. High beams also help you see farther, giving you additional time to react if a deer is on or near the road.

• Deer often travel in groups. If you see a deer, be prepared for additional deer to follow.

• Deer can be found on highways and busy city streets, not just rural roads.

• Deer can suddenly dart across a road when distracted by lights or the sound of a horn.

• Drive cautiously through posted deer-crossing areas.

• Contact your local law enforcement to remove a deer that is lying in the road for the safety of other approaching vehicles. Never approach a deer yourself.

• Wear your safety belt at all times

moparado
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby moparado » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:43 am

Pete,
timely tips for this thread at the Farm Life Discussion Forum!

http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25475

All of those items mentioned by the Progressive Ins. Co. are good but would not of helped in the case of my two deer-car encounters. In both cases, they darted out from thick brush along the side of the road right smack dab into my Jeep. All in a matter of milli-seconds!

I somewhat disagree with their first tip when traveling on a lonely country road at a moderate speed. I avoided a couple collisions by doing just that....swerving!
-Ken
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy
Lighten up while you still can don't even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand and take it easy - The Eagles

Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:56 pm

heres a tip to avoid deer collisions. #1 put more hunters in the woods. #2 take time to teach a child to be a hunter and a sportsman. the number of georgia hunters is decreasing every year that and inproaching on deer habitat causes much of this problem. :jeep:
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

moparado
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby moparado » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:42 pm

I heard a while back that the deer problem was so great in some Chicago suburbs that they hired so called 'professional' hunters to cull the herds!

Where do i sign up? :)

-Ken
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy

Lighten up while you still can don't even try to understand

Just find a place to make your stand and take it easy - The Eagles

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:29 pm

If you need someone to come up there and help thin the herd let me know. I live in Jefferson County, KY and we can't hunt them because it is an urban area. It's a shame that nobody will allow hunting anymore :cry:

Let the deer run out n front of all their Beemers..that will teach them :lol:
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deputy jailer » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:57 pm

I get my hunting license back monday (my truck out of the body shop) :D :D I know first hand about the deer but when they come barreling out of the bushes wide open, there are no good tips for trying to miss them :D :D