This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Building a pole barn in Michigan's UP in winter

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
RUSSALL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19344
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Building a pole barn in Michigan's UP in winter

Postby RUSSALL » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:03 pm

[quote="

If your neighbor heard Jimmy screaming 4 miles away, I can't imaging how loud it is inside the cab. Those Detroit Diesels are real workhorses. ?[/quote]

That's why Detroits are called diesel converters. They convert diesel fuel into noise.

Russ
1979 International Cub (Artie),193 plow,22 sickle mower,144 cultivator,54a blade,59" belly mower,wheel weights
1944 John Deere B , A-3 B-3 two way plow.....Grandpa's Deere,Still can't find his FARMALL A

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:49 pm

Well done Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:15 am

Billy,
As always I enjoyed reading your story on the barn project and the pictures are wonderful. I am sure you will really enjoy that barn.

I have one question what does Soo stand for?

Mike
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:31 am

Billy, great job on the pole building--especially in the great white north in the middle of winter :shock: That was one busy 2 weeks :shock: Including all the trips into Sault Ste. Marie. Job well done--story well told :D

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:41 am

Thank ya kindly BigDog :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: I just love playing outside :||):

Thanks Carl

Ya know I am wearing ear plugs while driving :!: :!: But it is not quite as loud as it may seem. Its really quiet up there. And from time to time I can here a truck running down the highway three miles away. Its a inline 6.

Thanks Bob

Sometimes it all comes together and you can get some real work done. I have been battling equ breakdowns but I was able to keep thing moving along this time. The last two years have been the wettest anyone up there remembers. While it was cold at nite and was taking me about two hours a day to get everything started and warmed up. It was getting muddy and slippery by the end of the day.

Thanks Billy

Thanks Doug

I would suggest you keep the building at least 12" higher than the surrounding ground. So all the water drains away from the barn. Lawn areas build up the soil height. If I remember right its 1" every 3-5 years. If you build it flat to the surrounding ground in ten years the building is sitting in a hole. My friend suggested putting a drain tile in just outside the eves to carry away the water coming off of the roof. When my Uncle built his barn he dug it out and put sand inside sitting on clay without any drainage. In the spring and when it rains hard that sand fills with water and its damp in that barn all year long.

All doors on gable ends. Keeps the water running off of the roof from raining on you. Or snow avalancheing off the roof onto you. At my cousins sutting the entry door was enough to start the snow sliding and it hit his friend and knocked him off of his feet luckily it did not hurt him much. We mounted the sliding door on the inside of the building. So we do not have to shovel snow away from the side of the building to open the door. Don't skimp on the doors get one wider than what you need. Its no fun trying to back a trailer into the barn when you only have a extra foot on each side. With the 14' wide front door I can park the loader infront of it and still have room to drive my four wheeler or cub out without moving the loader. The rear door is 18' wide and I can two pieces of equ open half the door and drive right out.

I would not go less than 30' wide. Its only slightly more $ than 24' wide and is a lot more efficent use of space. You can park three wide in it and still have room for work benches. You may be able to park 3 wide in a 24' but you will not have much room to walk around the it.

Thanks Vince. It will be worth it just from keeping our equ from getting weather damaged. And with that building I can pull the woodmizer inside and cut lumber in the rain :{_}:

You got that right Russ :{_}:

Thanks Bill

Have a great day :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:

Thanks Mike

Bill E Bob ansered that question for you :D Its where the Soo locks are :||):

Thanks Bill E Bob :{_}:

It wasn't too bad as it is only about 35-40 miles one way

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:51 am

See you are never too old to learn something new. "SOO"
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:56 am

Mike:

The Soo is an abreviation and a twist on the anglicized pronounciation of Sault Ste. Marie a pair of communities with the same name on both sides of the river, one in Michigan and one in Ontario. Sault is actually prounounced similar to the word sew. Sault means a rapid as in a river which is what Sault Ste. Marie is named for -- the rapids in the St. Mary River. The Soo Canals were built to go around the rapids.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:58 am

Cowboy wrote:It was $34,145 materials taxes and built. Or the price of a new pickup truck which is the way we looked at it.

Great looking barn. You made the right choice. Barn vs. new truck, barn wins out every time. It will last longer and the good thing is, it will go up in value.
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:50 pm

Thanks Jim

Just as a side note a lot of times you can get a 10% discount on buildings if you order them in january. Even if they do not build them until latter in the year.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

JGtools
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55325
Tractors Owned: 1958 ih 340 utility
1950 farmall cub
1948 ford 8n
kubota 3240
IH 154 loboy

Postby JGtools » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:11 pm

wow you have defined "work" at a whole new level., great job! Shed is mighty fine.

My wife and I visit the Ironwood area every summer, is that far from your neck of the woods /eah'
Take care, Jim

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:26 pm

Nice building. Great job on the photos. Showed em to a few pals and we are all envious of it.

I always thought things were bigger in Texas, but you done my Michigan heritage proud!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:13 am

Thanks Jim

I had to look up Ironwood. I have heard the name but did not know exactly where it was. Its all the way across the UP from me. I am 25-30 miles east of I-75 In Pickford MI. I am not much for building I can do some but am slow about it. But I love dirt work and can go from daylight to dark anytime.

Thanks Larry

It was fun but a big relief to get all that done. There is still a lot to do. But now that I have some where to work out of it will make things a lot easier. I can start a project and not have to worry about finishing it in one weekend.

Billy

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:07 am

Just up dating my pole barn with some of the work I got done in the front last fall. When I got done filling in the barn I had a 5% grade infront of it. I had to build up the parking/entry area 4' with dirt then topped it with 14" of stone.

After filling with dirt

Stoning the parking area.

Finished the pad

Billy

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:24 am

In November I got back up and built the front drive. I had a pile of logs to clean up that I saved when I cleared the woods to make the building pad. Most of them were too small to cut lumber out of so they were cutup for firewood. The rest went to the saw pile.

Looking down the new drive from the barn.

From the shed

I have a lot of work to do on the side road and back. But it sure is nice when it comes together!

Billy

Steve K. CALIF
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93636
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub #550
1962 LoBoy

Postby Steve K. CALIF » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:52 pm

And what have you been doing in your spare time?