Not the brightest bulbs!

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:27 pm

Two men stopped by, yesterday, asking if I had any scrap iron. They were on the way to pick up a heating oil tank, and wanted some stuff, to finish the load. Told them I just scrapped some stuff, last week, and didn't have anything. They thanked me, and went on their way. They were back, in an hour, with a drum of oil, on the truck. Want some oil? If you can get the barrel off the truck, you can have it. We need room for the tank. End result, I get $300 worth of heating oil, so they have room on the truck, for a tank that will probably bring $20, at the scrap yard! I felt bad for them, and gave them 2 junk cub engine blocks. They left, grinning like possums! Come back anytime, fellas! Ed

Re: Not the brightest bulbs!

Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:52 pm

Be careful. They may have been scoping out your place. We have been hit several times now

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:50 pm

I would wonder too but it will take them quite a bit to get even.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:49 pm

Sorry to be skeptical but how do you know the "heating oil" is free of contaminants, gasoline, water, etc. sorry but just sayin' ya got to be careful !

Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:32 am

With the tornado that went through the area a week ago, it has brought in, out of town scrappers.

Had 3 stop this week, including one today. I have had my high crop B in the front yard as yard art for about a year now. Everyone now wants to know if they can haul it off for me. I put a price of $1000 on it to discourage them :big afro:

Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:06 pm

Good thinking Dale

Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:46 pm

bobperry wrote:Sorry to be skeptical but how do you know the "heating oil" is free of contaminants, gasoline, water, etc. sorry but just sayin' ya got to be careful !

Came from a house down the street, that's being renovated. Knew the owners, smells clean. Ed

Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:16 pm

Back in the 70's with the oil shortage and the bump up in price there were many conversions to natural gas on Staten Island. A friend of mine with many kids posted an ad in the news paper offering to drain your oil tank and remove it for a nominal fee. Tiny heated his house most of that winter on what he drained. He ran it through a funnel with a fine screen before putting it into his tank.
He is long since passed but This brought happy memories of Tiny.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:06 pm

Ed, you are right - they are not the brightest bulbs in the box. :D :D

Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:13 pm

VinceD wrote:Ed, you are right - they are not the brightest bulbs in the box. :D :D

Nor are they the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:27 am

bobperry wrote:Sorry to be skeptical but how do you know the "heating oil" is free of contaminants, gasoline, water, etc. sorry but just sayin' ya got to be careful !

Or belongs to one of your neighbors !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:44 am

Hey Ed my tank is almost empty...

But then again, I think I will bite the bullet and switch to natural gas this summer.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:16 pm

Boss Hog wrote:
Or belongs to one of your neighbors !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by Bob Perry on Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:21 pm

Dale Shaw wrote:With the tornado that went through the area a week ago, it has brought in, out of town scrappers.

Had 3 stop this week, including one today. I have had my high crop B in the front yard as yard art for about a year now. Everyone now wants to know if they can haul it off for me. I put a price of $1000 on it to discourage them :big afro:

might want to reconsider what "Yard art" is if everyone wants to haul it off to the junk dealer, lol

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:25 pm

CapeCodCubs wrote:might want to reconsider what "Yard art" is if everyone wants to haul it off to the junk dealer, lol

Trust me, anyone looking for my place has no trouble finding it. If they have never been by here, it is an easy landmark to find, and if they have ever driven by, but did not know this is where I live, they know exactly as soon as I tell them. :big afro:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Former Member on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.