Wasp nest?

Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:29 pm

This nest hangs from our electric meter box. I have never seen one shaped like it. I haven't seen anything coming or going but Jeanne says it looks like some kind of wasp. I shot wasp spray up the tube and it is somewhat flexible. Anyone know what makes a nest like this? Vern

Re: Wasp nest?

Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:31 pm

Hornets build a nest like that....they will build a sphere around the tube.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:09 pm

Bald-faced hornet. You don't want to get stung by them. Spray again after dark. Next day, knock the nest down.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:03 pm

And RUN like hell!!!
Bernard,
Donegal Cub

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:32 pm

Donegal Cub wrote:And RUN like hell!!!
Bernard,
Donegal Cub

:Dito:

Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:33 am

It took care of itself. Apparently the wasp spray weakened the nest and it fell apart. :{_}: When I went to spray it last night most was on the ground so I gave the remainder a shot although the comb didn't look like it had been used. I have seen many nests like this when complete but never one under construction. Nor have I ever seen one only five feet off the ground. Vern

Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:30 am

We had one about 5 feet off the ground on the end of the lean to that I use to store firewood. I had gone almost directly under it several times with the lawnmower, and also walked right under it weed eating, plus ducked under it countless times going from one part of the yard to another. Until a cousin was helping me move some stuff in the yard and was about 5 feet away when one of the hornets nailed him. needless to say it did not survive the night.