How I spent my Weekend

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:52 am

I'm am member of a Department of Homeland Security District task force in Indiana we have been deployed down to southern Indiana to assist the town of New Pekin that was hit by a F4 tornado on Friday afternoon our mission was to help the town with debris removal and start the recovery process . Our main objective is to relieve the town’s first responders so they can care for their families. We got the call to deploy on Friday evening around 5 PM and had 66 responders,5 ambulances,5 fire trucks, law enforcement officers and a host of support vehicles with enough supplies to survive for 3 days. We Arrived down here around 4AM Saturday morning got a couple of hours sleep and got to work. I will post when I get back home Steve

Re: How I spent my Weekend

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:12 am

I hope a lot of people help out...looks to be an early tornado season ..Kevin :? :? :? :?

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:38 am

Take care down there, Steve, we'll be waiting to hear more.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:27 am

Steve, it's men and women like you who make this country great. There are some who just look out for themselves and give little care about their neighbors. Your actions show great character. Take care down there and let's hope you have no further problems to contend with. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:45 am

Barnyard wrote:Steve, it's men and women like you who make this country great. There are some who just look out for themselves and give little care about their neighbors. Your actions show great character. Take care down there and let's hope you have no further problems to contend with. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Well said, Bill.

Steve, please be safe and Thank you for giving these folks a much needed helping hand.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:33 am

Yes well said Bill :applause: :applause: :applause:

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:21 am

Brother take care Thanks. Will be talking to you sometime this week.
Be SAFE

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:49 am

Take care and be carefull. We'll pray for your safety.

Larry

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:05 pm

Steve - thanks for being there for those folks who need it. Incidents like this week's weather really tax a small town department. I know they appreciate your assistance.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:16 pm

I couldn't be prouder to assist the people of New Pekin. On the outskirts of the town there was the rements of a lumber yard that was Totally flattened they lost 4 souls in a house right next to the lumber yard. All of their communications was lost. Had no cell service for the whole week end. Good thing we have a satellite internet in the Mobile Command center. We ate MREs the first day and slept on the floor the in the jail library the first night . The second night we were sleeping on cots in the New Pekin city hall. I head up the communications unit for the task force. it was an honor to shake the Governor Mitch Daniels hand in our Mobile command post.We got demobed this morning it was hard to leave and return home but our mission was complete and we made a difference for that community.We were 30 miles south of the town of Henryville IN the town that got hit the hardest. Steve

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks, Steve, for what you are doing. It is truly appreciated. :applause: :applause:

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:31 pm

Steve,

My hats off to you and all of the other brave men and women who make personal sacrifices everyday without ever thinking about it. You are among a truly special group of people!

I think the Governor should be the one honored by shaking YOUR hand!

Thanks!!!

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:39 pm

well said, bill and david. we should all be aware of the sacrifices of first responders and their families ,fireman,police, servicemen overseas and at home,ect.... they are running in when we are running out. coppersmythe.....................................

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:15 am

Thank you for your service, Steve.