This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tool Questions...Impact Wrenches

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Tool Questions...Impact Wrenches

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:49 pm

Sad but true :(
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

49Cub2017
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 62903

Postby 49Cub2017 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:02 pm

Don: I decided to go with the Dewalt DCF899HB 20V MAX XR Brushless High Torque 1/2" Impact Wrench with Hog Ring Anvil. This is as much torque wrench as I should ever need...hopefully. And if not, is a pretty decent place to start.

49Cub2017
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby 49Cub2017 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:20 am

My impact wrench arrived yesterday and I've been checking it out. My first impression is that it's hefty and looks like it'll do what I need it to. The hog ring anvil is a bit different. The first time I went to put a socket on it it's like it didn't want to go on and for a couple of minutes I'm wondering if maybe special sockets are required. So, as much as I hate to I did look at the instructions and in there it says to push the socket on firmly...that the hog ring has to compress in order to get the socket on. So this time I pushed firmly...harder than you would think would be necessary and sure enough on it goes. Getting it back off again is also a little harder than you'd think...and you can't just pull if off, you have to wiggle it off. This all adds up to a very tight friction fit and I think it's going to work very well. I won't have a chance to work on those head bolts until I get all the necessary stuff, but at this point I'm optimistic. :D

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:40 am

When new, the hog ring will be very tight, it will loosen some with use as it breaks in. Generally speaking, mechanics will opt for the hog ring, industrial applications, where the socket is seldom changed, will use the push pin detent. I think you'll like the one you got, I know I would! Maybe one of these days I'll pick one up.

49Cub2017
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby 49Cub2017 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:27 am

Gary: That's good to know since it's tight now. I was testing it yesterday pulling 3/4" head 6"long lag bolts out of an outdoor structure. They'd been in there for at least 15 years and I wasn't having much luck with a box end wrench. This Dewalt got them out of there in a hurry. I know that's not the same thing as breaking rusted head bolts free from an engine block, but I get how this thing works now and I'm optimistic it'll loosen and not shear, especially on that lower torque setting. If you have need for an impact wrench I think this is a very good one. I got it as a bare tool because I already had Dewalt 20 v batteries. :D

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:01 pm

I have the 3/8” butterfly impact, 1/2” impact, the electric 1/2” impact and the 3/4” impact. When all else fails it’s the 3/4” ratchet set with a four foot pipe extension.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:03 am

Barnyard wrote:I have an old Craftsman electric one that has served me well for the last twenty years. I also have a Milwaukee 18 volt that does well also. Whatever you get, make sure it is 1/2" drive. For heavy stuff I prefer electric.

Since you already have a 20 volt Dewalt drill you might want to consider this if your battery is the same. https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-XR-20-V ... trEALw_wcB

We have 3 of those and use them daily removing tractor parts, working on tractors, trailer tires, etc. You will be greatly suprised how strong they are and how long the battery holds up. The models we have were sold at Tractor Supply and might be a little different than this one. They work so well, I haven't used the Air Impact (runs off 80 gal compressor) in around 3-4 months.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:38 am

I realize that this is an old thread. As my 18 Volt DeWalts die, I'm replacing with 20 Volt Dewalts.

Wife picked up a 20 V. Dewalt weed eater because she couldn't start either of my Stihl weed eaters. She really likes it, light weight. Son also picked up a 20 V Dewalt tool. So far this gives us 2 batteries and two chargers. Another 20 V tool or two, and the purchase of a 2 battery pack when on sale will give us sufficient batteries for tasks on the acreage.

Back to impact wrenches. I use generator sets to provide electricity at the acreage shop. Battery powered hand tools are much more convenient to use than starting up a generator set, then powering up the air compressor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Tool Talk and Reviews”