This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dealing with square head nuts and bolts

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Dealing with square head nuts and bolts

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:02 pm

This is a topic that most all of us who work on older equipment have had to deal with at times. I recently reworked an older disc harrow that had all square bolts and nuts. Some of them were in between the disc blades and were inaccessible for combination end wrenches so rather than spend the bucks for a socket which I never was able to find short of ordering from internet sellers I decided to fab a tool for the 1 inch nuts and hold the head of the bolts with a combination wrench. I cut two pieces of scrap 1/4 x 1.5 heavy angle about 3 inches long and trimmed one of them on both sides so that it would fit inside the other one thus forming a 1 inch square hollow tube that was 3 inches long. (I used a scrap piece of 1 inch square tubing to keep the pieces in position and welded the two sides together.) I removed the square tubing and then cut a scrap 1 inch hex head bolt about 1.25 inches long and welded it inside the new 1 inch square tube thus creating a square socket with a hex head that can be used with a variety of tools. The picture shows the 1.5 hex head bolt on the top and the 1 inch square nut inserted on the lower end. Worked very well and allowed me to use a 3/4 inch drive socket and ratchet to remove those rusted in place 1 inch nuts. JMHO Stan
square socket tool.jpg
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Re: Dealing with square head nuts and bolts

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:27 pm

Great idea! I've had sets of 8-point sockets, 1/4" and 1/2' drives, since the early 60s. These puppies have gotten much more use in the last 15 years than in the previous 35 or 40 years. Flea markets or garage sales can be sources for those sockets.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Re: Dealing with square head nuts and bolts

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:07 pm

Bonus: :hattip: I discovered that a short length (about 1 inch) of square tubing inserted in to the square 1 inch opening will allow it to fit 3/4 inch square bolts/nuts. I placed a 1 inch square nut into the opening first, then the square tubing. That allows for a jack screw to remove the square tubing insert if it gets stuck.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)