This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

UPDATE

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65608
Tractors Owned: 49 F cub, donor
50 Farmall Cub bugeyes(dead)
55 Farmall Cub Clementine
55 International loboy
62 140 Industrial The Beast
50s Allis Chalmers B
50 Ferguson TO20 Huppster
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
hinomoto diesel 4x4, early to mid 80s 20HP
73 Pasquali 4x4 diesel 33HP
74 Toro golf course tractor
Gilson 18HP
Circle of Safety: Y

UPDATE

Postby Indy4570 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:16 am

So I haven't been in the forum on a regular basis in some time. things are very busy around here for me as i dont get a lot done these days but it doesn't stop me from trying to be productive. I felt bad for not responding to the usual Birthday thread, ( Thanks to Glen for the Birthday message) it turns out I cant find a Birthday thread for me this year LOL! I did manage to make it to 60 this year!

I have been busy with trying to get some things done on several projects. Got the wife a new ride as she needed something. That was a lot of missteps but in the end we did good. She has a 1989 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban and she loves it. My wheels is a different story.

We decided we were going backwards. due to issues involving sensors, computers, new fangled additions vehicles for the past few decades we wanted to find clean well maintained/restored older rides. We also wanted something fun and something that had what we call "The Glee Factor". We wanted something with smiles per mile vrs miles per gallon. The is why we ended up with the Ural Gearup sidecar rig. Down now but it gave us many smiles to the mile for years. So anyways we had planned to have his n hers rigs this year. We need 4 wheel drive due to the place we live. This limited us with old school rigs out there. Enter Jeep of course but jeeps are everywhere but one model fit the bill. The Jeepster Commando. We didn't find a jeepster but we did find two commandos ( AMC dropped the jeepster name but retained the commando name for the 72 and 73 model years. They are credited with killing that model with the changes but today it is a sought after rig). Both would require close to a 1500 mile round trip each to acquire. Things crept up in the negotiations that determined the "His" rig would be gone after first. Hindsight is 2020 and looking back I should have come home with an empty trailer but we were looking at going to small car shows and jeep gatherings and enjoying a pair of rare 73 bullnose Jeep Commandos. We came home with a commando. it wasnt quite what we had anticipated it would be but we bought it anyways after 700 plus miles to see it.

Trip #2 found us yet again trying to evade large cities as we did on the first trip due to covid restrictions. The convoluted trips also involved staying away from areas people seemed to be standing in the highways blocking traffic all over in some larger cities. Extreme heat combined with no working AC in the truck meant more days, and more hotels to recover and cool down. We made it to the 2nd commando that was supposed to be the better one and found a leaking rear main and several issues that made it one more project so as hard as it was we left it and came home empty. One small ray of sunshine was coming home through Dyersburg TN and picking up a set of rear tires for the 140 minus the shipping costs! The day after we returned from eastern TN we found the suburban in Arkansas, a day trip and it was home, and we drove it home, no trailer!

The saga continues in my next post a little later today, and YES! there is a tractor in there someplace :P
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Re: UPDATE

Postby T-Mo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:36 am

Yep, the new vehicles have too many sensors, rely on too many electronic components to make fuel, spark and air to run a gas combustion engine. And when they break down, as they all do, it's almost impossible to troubeshoot the problem.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:35 am

I love the idea of driving an older vehicle. Though they would absolutely melt with all the salt used here in the winter. I also am a fan of air conditioning - which even if the vehicle had it, didn't work well. Found this site that builds AC systems for classic vehicles.
https://www.classicautoair.com/
Now this makes a classic car possible to use as a daily driver. I'd only want to do this to a non-numbers-matching classic. Ideal setup would be a modern boat engine installed that is carbureted.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 International loboy
50s Allis Chalmers B
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:42 pm

OK, I promised more so here is a pic of the 73 commando that did follow us home. The 73 model sported 11 inch brakes all around and was available with power steering and brakes as well as 2 inline six cylinder engines and a 304 V8, mine has the 304 V8 and after market power steering and brakes
Attachments
DSCF4374a.jpg
the "Bullnose" Jeep Commando
DSCF4369A.jpg
after a 4 inch lift and new 31.10.50 15s
DSCF4298a.jpg
near Austin Texas at the pickup point. "before" look

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 International loboy
50s Allis Chalmers B
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:20 pm

I finally, ( fingers crossed) finished a lift kit install that has been the lift kit from hell. the first kit had the wrong rear shackles, no big deal, i had a set in stock. ok next the front bushings were slipping back and forth. Not good, so, new top leaves were sent, they sent stock leaves, finally got the 4 inch lift top leaves, did the R&R myself, one at a time and rebuilt the springs, commando is still at the shop, will pick it up soon and test drive it and hope its all better now .
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:38 am

Nice! The first road-going vehicle I ever drove was a 1972 Commando.
Jim

Circle of Safety