This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ideas for new barn and property.

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Thackery
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Ideas for new barn and property.

Postby Thackery » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:44 pm

It's been a while since an update.

Chickens are doing well, I think everyone I know has benefitted from our egg production.

I did have 2 chickens get taken by Red Tail Hawks.

Had to run a heater in the plumbing room during the -10 degree days.

One of the local grain elevators grinds the chicken food for me, actually convenient and cheaper than buying commercial food.

Looking forward to the spring so we can get back outside.

I shot the last of the ground hogs towards the fall, I'm sure there will be more in the spring.

The cash rent farming is working out well, the farmer is courteous, friendly, neighborly, and pays on time.

The spring stopped running in the summer but starts up again with a major rain. It has been running again for over a month with all the rain and snow we have had.

I would still like to raise something for meat but don't really want the problems.

We will raise meat chickens again in the early spring. Probably 30 or so.

Oh, the gardens produced nicely last year and we are still eating some of the harvest. Good stuff.

The fruit trees although small provided apple sauce, and 2 (exactly 2) heavenly peaches.

Farm to Fork is what we are going for.

My wife Candace is keeping a blog of sorts on FaceBook, Check out Rusty Plow Homestead for pictures of our place and a bunch of good stuff she cooks. Mmmm!

Take Care,

Thackery
1953 Cub, Sickle Mower, 42" Mower, Cultivators, 189 Double Plow, 54 Blade, Grader Blade
1968 Lo-Boy w/1000 Loader, 1957 Lo-Boy w/FH, FH Disc, FH Potato Plow.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:54 pm

Doug,

There's no such thing as "the last of the ground hogs". :lol:
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Thackery
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Thackery » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:02 pm

I had a 30/30 that I just loved to shoot them critters with.
This past year I used my Dad's old peep sight 22 and had a great time. Had to do a lot adjusting for the long shots that the 30/30 would take easily.
I like hunting them, I just don't like the digging and the possible wounds to my dogs.

Funny really, my old dog (Garrett-who has attended at least 2 Cub Fests) is a varmint killer, but he just can't do it anymore.
The young dog (Gilly) has a great nose but does not have a killer instinct.
He picked up a ground hog this past year but I actually think he thought it was a stuffed toy.
The hog started to snarl and growl and Gilly dropped the hog like a hot rock. I swear the dog had a look on his face that was priceless.
I was close and was hoping that Gilly wasn't going to get the worst of it.
Luckily the hog went for his hole.
I got him a couple weeks later with the 22.

The animal I hate most is the skunks, we always seem to run into them at the worst possible time.

Thackery
1953 Cub, Sickle Mower, 42" Mower, Cultivators, 189 Double Plow, 54 Blade, Grader Blade
1968 Lo-Boy w/1000 Loader, 1957 Lo-Boy w/FH, FH Disc, FH Potato Plow.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:23 pm

Thackery wrote:..........The animal I hate most is the skunks, we always seem to run into them at the worst possible time..........
There's a good time to run into a skunk? :? :wink: :lol:
Thanks for taking the time to do the update. Fun and enjoyable read.

Return to “Projects Forum”