This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hit & Miss Corn Sheller / Grain Mill

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Hit & Miss Corn Sheller / Grain Mill

Postby ctltmp » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:49 am

I've always had a love for hit and miss engines. Down on my step dads farm where we used to hunt there were a lot of these engines still in use and I always liked the sound of one running. As a project for later (after I get my 2 ahead of it finished..........) I thought I'd try to pick up a small hit & miss and run a sheller and mill off of it. Saw one pretty nice set up on youtube. Also saw some running an ice cream churn.

Have any of you guys built anything like this? I'm just looking for some advice at this point. To keep cost down I think a Maytag 92 world work if I can find a corn sheller and a grain mill decent.
WV Mike

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hit & Miss Corn Sheller / Grain Mill

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:27 am

There are a lot of hit and miss engines at our farm show. I think the Maytag would run a sheller, but I'm not sure it would have enough umph to run a grinder. I know Ed and Buddy both run their grinders off of Cubs.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Denny Clayton » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:26 am

A Maytag engine is not a hit miss, is it?
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26047
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Postby ctltmp » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:07 pm

Technically I believe a model 92 is because it has an ignition interrupt. The 92 does not hit on every rotation and uses the ignition interrupt to regulate engine speed according to load so technically it would classify as a hit and miss. The model 72 which is a twin cylinder hits on every stroke, so it really would be classified as hit and miss.

The set up I saw had a grain mill on it, but it was a small one. I just figured it would be a neat project and something small enough I could drag around to the local Oktoberfest or let the grand-kids see. So if any of you fellow cubbers have an old mill or sheller back in a dark corner of the barn let me know.
WV Mike

DDean
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53566

Postby DDean » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:53 pm

Ya I wouldn't drive a corn sheller with a maytag 92. One its only 3/4 HP, two the corn sheller is only meant to be ran by how fast your hand can crank the handle, maybe 60 rpm, not a 1000 rpm. The ones I seen were ran on the flywheel side with a 1-1/2hp hit n miss engine barely running. Which normally is around 300 - 450 rpm. I think the maytag maybe a let loose factor of the cast iron internals. At most, you could maybe hand crank that to maybe 60 rpm, a hit n miss would be around maybe 80 rpm. A maytag would be well over a 120 rpm. I do have a IHC one hole, all steel corn sheller. And from cleaning it up and working on it, I wouldn't trust that cast on the inside to a lot of rpm's. Just an observation to keep in mind.