This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Weirdest Stuff on Craigslist: Flymo Edition

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.
Circle of Safety: Y

Weirdest Stuff on Craigslist: Flymo Edition

Postby Crimson Tim » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:18 pm

I stumbled across a new (to me) strange device on my local Craigslist a few weeks back. It’s a lawn mower called Flymo, due to it being a mower that “flies”. At least hovers. Sort of. It has no wheels whatsoever, it is just supposed to float over the ground.

IMG_1056.jpeg

When I first saw this thing, I thought that sounded like the most dangerous thing since lawn darts! I want it!
Then I got to thinking about it…. What I can’t mow with the Cub is in and around and under roses in containers and beds and under an extensive post and rail fence line and some other typical detail work. That really would make life easier if I could maneuver a push mower in any direction instead of just forward and backward. Maybe this idea makes more sense than I originally gave it credit for?

Long story short, I don’t think anyone will be surprised that I like antique, oddball contraptions. Hence my presence on this site in the first place. The more I thought about this Flymo, the more interesting it seemed. Then I ended up with a couple extra bucks in my pocket, so it followed me home.

Flymo has been around actually for a long time (at least since the 70s, maybe 50s, I don’t remember what I originally found), though they never really caught on much in the US. They are very popular in the UK, however. They are still in business with an extensive product list of wheeled and hovering mowers, mostly electric these days. Turns out mine was built in 1981 according to the serial number, or 1978, according to what Flymo told me when I asked if they could supply any documentation. Husqvarna was importing these at the time.

The engine is a 2-stroke rated at 3.5 hp of Tecumseh design, though licensed to several other companies. Everything is lightweight. The deck is a plastic, but sturdy. The engine is aluminum. It doesn’t have centrifugal weights for a governor, it has a plastic vane the reacts to the speed of the airflow off the fins on the top of the engine. It’s not at all difficult just to pick up the whole thing to carry it around if necessary, or it will slide across the grass easily enough even when not running.

I have to admit, I have an old wood chipper with an 8.5 hp, 4 cycle Tecumseh engine, and now this Flymo with a 2 cycle Tecumseh engine, and my experience with these two really make me like them better than the typical Briggs or Koehler small engines I have typically worked with. They seem a little less lowest-common-denominator cheap, and a little more thoughtful in design and function. Too bad they went out of business!

This had apparently sat on a shelf at a mower service shop for 10 years. When it closed down, a service tech took it home with him in hopes of getting it going. Then he ran out of time and space, so decided to sell it. I’m not surprised the mower shop went out of business, because it didn’t take much to get it going. The guy told me it doesn’t have spark, even though he had had the flywheel off and been into the points. 10 seconds after I had the top cover off, at least part of the problem was obvious: the wire from the points to the coil was severed. Thanks to lurking here for years, I felt like I had a pretty good idea how things should look, and that wasn’t it. I re-gapped the points, put the flywheel back on and fixed the wire. The only other things I did to get it running doesn’t even amount to basic maintenance: clean the fuel system & carb, fab up a makeshift air filter and find a workaround for some missing fasteners. Now the little thing runs like a beast!

It has holes in the deck around the engine, and a centrifugal fan just above the cutting blades. So it draws air down past the engine (and the exhaust) under the deck to create the cushion of air to hover. In the fairly dense grass that it prefers, it really is surprisingly free of dust and chaff. However, if the grass is patchy and there is bare dirt exposed, yeah, it does create a *lot* of dust! Uneven ground and patchy grass also means it doesn’t hover so well.

IMG_1057.jpeg

It’s only rated at 3.5 hp, but it runs a lot stronger than the 6.5 hp B&S powered 4 cycle mower which is admittedly on its last legs. There’s a lot of irrigation used in the rose garden, so the grass gets pretty thick. I routinely stall out the B&S repeatedly trying to get through there. However, I can’t find vegetation thick enough to stall out the Flymo. It rarely even slows down. Actually, it really likes thick grass, as it hovers better that way. On bare pavement, it doesn’t really hover, but sort of skitters lightly over the surface. Once you get into grass, though, it does better. With nice, even ground and reasonably thick grass, it hovers about an inch above the soil. The cutting blade is recessed up higher in the skirt than a regular mower, so you are actually *less* likely to cut off a toe or mow over something you didn’t intend that a regular mower. I can mow over hoses and such with no issue.

Incidentally, you are supposed to adjust the cutting height by adding or removing spacers between the fan and the cutting blade.

So. How does it work? I like the engine a lot. It has a deceptive amount of power in a *very* lightweight package. As far as the overall cutting experience, it’s…. Fine. Because the blade is recessed so much under the skirt, it’s not a super aggressive cut. I sometimes have to go over super long weeds a couple of times before it will actually cut them. Not a lot worse than most push mowers, but a bit. Overall, I’d like it to cut a bit shorter, so if I can find a spacer or two that should improve that some.
Where the grass is thick but not too tall, the maneuverability is really very nice. It moves easily in any direction. Where the grass gets patchy or the ground uneven though, that starts to break down. Worst case, though, it slides on the grass pretty easily even when the engine is not running at all, especially when you pull it behind you.
Yes, it does make all the tight maneuvering between the roses easier.
And yes, it does make the fence line easier. The fence is perpendicular to a slight slope, so I find a can walk along the fence on the uphill side and drag the mower behind me. The slope will cause the mower to follow diagonally at an angle, thus getting under the fence. Then I can just pull it uphill a bit at each fence post and let it drift back downhill to get under the next section. So I can pretty much get under the whole fence just by walking a single pass instead of endless back and forth jockeying with a wheeled mower.
The down side is that the rougher ground and patchier grass around the barn is tougher to negotiate because it’s so lumpy the air cushion isn’t maintained as well. We have a horse farm, not a golf course, so it would do better here if it hovered with 50% to 100% more clearance.

That said, my plan is to use this for all small mowing duties from here on out, and have been doing so successfully for a couple weeks now.

Like with all of the unique old pieces of equipment, parts and documentation are very difficult to source. If anybody has any ideas for those, I would love to hear them. I have a couple of parts diagrams, but none of them match this model completely. I am in need of a couple of missing fasteners, and I’d like a real air filter, because I worry the one I cobbled together might not be 100% effective. And the kill switch doesn’t work yet.

Anyway, I thought you might enjoy this little bit of historical, out of the box thinking. Is it better? No, I can’t really say it’s better. It’s no worse. It’s just different. It has different strengths and weaknesses. I just like it because it’s weird!
Last edited by Crimson Tim on Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Re: Weirdest Stuff on Craigslist: Flymo Edition

Postby Crimson Tim » Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:52 pm

One of the issues I need to address missing fasteners…. The gas tank is held on with two screws, one of which was missing. With a single screw, I couldn’t keep it from vibrating loose even in the short test runs until it finally came out and I lost it. Can’t find a replacement even with the part number. I will either search for matching threads or just come up with a more secure attachment method. I’ll figure that out, but there’s another issue I’d like to hear opinions on.

The bolts holding the engine cover on go into aluminum. One of the three stripped out very easily, so it was already damaged. I’m worried now that only two bolts is likely to let it vibrate and therefore damage the other two bolt holes. I know one of the thread insert repair kits would make a good repair (why are none of the brand names coming to me right now?), but those are pricey and I don’t yet have any in hand. I do have epoxy in hand, though. Can I epoxy the bolt in place such that I can then remove it safely again later? By coating the bolt in soap or wax or something prior to epoxying?
Last edited by Crimson Tim on Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Re: Weirdest tuff on Craigslist: Flymo Edition

Postby ricky racer » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:04 pm

I've seen those Flymo's before. It always seemed to me that in order for the mower to hover, the blade would have to create down force to allow it to hover, which in my mind would flatten the grass preventing it from creating a nice cut. Normal blades create a suction to stand the grass up so it can make a nice even cut. If the Flymo used normal blades, it seems it would suck the deck down to the ground making it harder to slide across the grass. At least in my mind, that's how I see it.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

Postby Crimson Tim » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:40 pm

I thought that too. In practice it works better than you would think. The lift isn’t generated by the cutting blades. The centrifugal fan above the blades draws air in from the top and pushes it outward to where the deck then directs it downward at the edges. The blades themselves don’t have any twist up or down. They’re just level. So the cutting blades are neutral. The downdraft occurs in a ring just outside the blades. I suspect you could use some typical uplifting blades without issue (or even with net improvement) as it would just reinforce some toroidal recirculation that is going on anyway.
I was expecting it to flatten the grass before cutting, too, but have not really found that it does. It doesn’t do quite as well with long stuff as a conventional mower, but it’s pretty close. I think mostly that’s because the blade is recessed up behind the skirt farther than a conventional mower. The skirt knocks tall stuff over and then the blade can’t reach it to cut it. Same thing happens with a conventional mower, but a little worse in this case. If I space the blade down to shorten the cut, that should help.

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:52 am

Eastman Industries, who bought the Ingersoll line of garden tractors (think Case GTs) a few years back, had a hovering lawn mower like that. It was advertised for mowing along edges of lakes, ponds, etc. I'm not sure if they're in business anymore or not, when you click on their website, it goes to a Chinese page.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:25 am

I’ve seen a few Fly-mos at swap meets, they weren’t attracting much attention. You need to heli-coil your bolt holes.

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

Postby Crimson Tim » Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:40 pm

Helicoil. That’s it. Don’t know why I was drawing a blank on that. CRS, I suppose. I figured that was probably the best way to go.

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

Postby Crimson Tim » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:09 pm

Well, I took a little video in case you wanted to see how it worked. Having a storage issue, however. Should get it located someplace where you can see it soon.

It starts pretty easily, though needs about a half a dozen pulls to get going.
It runs great as long as I keep fuel in it. If it runs out, it won’t restart hot. I have to let it cool 10 minutes or so before it will start again.
My more modern Husqvarna weed whip is pretty much the same. 25-30 years newer. Also 2-cycle.
Points have been checked and gapped. Have not yet checked the spark plug. Any thoughts on getting a successful hot restart?

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

Postby Crimson Tim » Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:56 am

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:02 am

Both are marked private and they won't play.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

Postby Crimson Tim » Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:28 am

Ok, that should be resolved now.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:58 am

Looks like it functions similarly to a floor scrubber/buffer. Is there any tendency for it to drift left or right due to the torque of the engine?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

Postby Crimson Tim » Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:57 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Looks like it functions similarly to a floor scrubber/buffer. Is there any tendency for it to drift left or right due to the torque of the engine?

Yeah, it does look like that, doesn’t it? And it does sort of handle like that, with the exception that it’s not trying to fight you. I haven’t used a buffer or a scrubber, but I have used a big concrete grinder of the same format. This is way easier. It’s not trying to dart off in random directions, and the whole thing weighs less than 25 pounds.

No. No noticeable torque or drift. Other than a tendency to drift downhill, that is.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:02 am

That is super cool, Tim. Thanks for sharing your excellent and obscure find!
Jim

Circle of Safety

52DAVE
Zip Code: 49401

Postby 52DAVE » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:08 pm

I can remember them being advertised sometime in the 70s. I couldn't understand at the time how they could hover and still lift the grass to cut it. It would be interesting to see one in person.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”