This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pull behind plows

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CSmith93
Zip Code: 23325

Pull behind plows

Postby CSmith93 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:26 pm

I'm looking to start learning how to use a pull type plow with my B. I know the obvious answer is to get a little genius plow for it. Do yall have a preference of plow manufacturer and if so I'd love to know why?

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Pull behind plows

Postby v w » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:03 am

We used to feel all trailer plows used more power to get the job done than what a mounted plow would need. There wern't many B's around here. One problem you may run into is getting the plow directly behind the tractor. The B and the BN both have a wide stance and I do not know if the wheels will slide in far enough to allow this. You can of course move the hitch point over on the drawbar and plow with a sidedraft. This requires even more power but is what we did with an H and an M. Strike off a shallow furrow across the field and use it as the point to drop/pull the plow. A nice straight headland is easier to plow as well as being cleaner. Have fun! Vern

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:08 am

Currently own a 2 bottom 14" JD trailer type plow. As a kid we had Allis, JD, and IH trailer plows. Uncle, a Minneapolis fan only use Minneapolis equipment. All work/worked well.

Rather than looking for a specific make, look over what is available in your area.

B should be abled to handle 2-12's. And depending on soil type, maybe 2-14's.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:53 pm

Eugene wrote:Rather than looking for a specific make, look over what is available in your area.

B should be abled to handle 2-12's. And depending on soil type, maybe 2-14's.

Agree that make isn't a big factor. Condition of the wear parts (share, landside, moldboard, etc.) is. They are often hard to find and when found expensive to replace. At least with a big-name plow (like IH or Deere) you have a chance of people at least knowing what part you are looking for.

I think you will be better off with a single bottom plow. Two bottoms will be a bit much in most conditions unless you are staying really shallow. Also when you are looking for a replacement share, you will only need one. Two bottoms will reduce the sidedraft problem as the center of draft is more to the left. But proper hitching helps with that problem.

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631

Postby MiCarl » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:36 am

I'll add one thing to what's been said so far - you need to pay attention to which bottom (I agree you probably want a single bottom) is on the plow.

Knowing little about them several years ago I picked up a John Deere 4b 2-14 plow to use with my H. Originally that plow would have had bottoms that used blacksmith shares. This fall I was planning to go to a plow day and decided to sharpen the shares. Since the bolts were too rusted to remove I started looking for plow bolts. In the process I discovered the original bottoms had been replaced by more modern high speed bottoms with throw away shares. I was able to get brand new shares for $27 and shins for $22. For just over $100 including shipping I had a pretty much brand new plow. By comparison three years ago when I looked for into a new blacksmith share for the HA bottom on my Cub 193 plow they were $150.

Most of the Little Genius plows I've come across had older style bottoms that used blacksmith shares and didn't have replaceable shins. Some of the newer ones (or maybe ones that were farmer upgraded like my Deere plow) have Plow Chief or Super Chief bottoms that used throw away shares and replaceable shins. I think with those bottoms you'll have better options for replacing wear parts.

I'm not an expert by any means but I believe plow shares with a pronounced tongue at the front point are blacksmith shares and straight shares tend to be throw away shares.

Blacksmith Share

Throw away share (Super Chief plow bottom)

In addition to the bottom "vintage" there are different types of plow bottoms for different applications. Around here most of the plows have general purpose or corn stubble bottoms. There are other bottom types for special circumstances such as rice or sod. Both of the plows pictured have general purpose bottoms.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:55 pm

IH 70 square beam with good bottoms! course thats a 3 bottom jobber.