This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lawn tractor not charging.

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Lawn tractor not charging.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:13 pm

I have an 8 or 9 year old White/MTD lawn tractor with 16 horse Briggs V-twin engine that quit charging today. I can not find any loose leads, and the only fuse I can locate is good. Does anyone have experience with these, or am I going to have to do my own trouble shooting? :? For the tiem beign I will probalby just charge the battery between uses, but the electric clutch draws about 7 amps, so run time is limited.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:41 pm

Having owned/own a couple of MTD products. Good luck on your trouble shooting. Get the wiring diagram. Electric switches have been all of my electrical problems. The PTO switch being the most problem prone.

Eugene

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:05 am

John,
You already checked for loose wires so go to the amp Gage next
as all juice goes tru it.
After that get your wallet out as only 3 other things can go bad.
1. voltage regulator
2. stater ring & it's under the fly wheel
3. the magnet group in the fly wheel.
As a side note very good friend of mine that make his living fixing
mowers says that the voltage regulator is a very week link on the briggs.
& that any other briggs with same system parts will interchange.

Order in which to ck.
1.you have already done.
2. gage.
3. stater for open or short to ground.
4. the regulator.(no real way to ck just replace.)
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:16 am

thanks fellas. Gauge shows discharge when lights or electric clutch are turned on, so I have discounted that. As for the remaining compponents, I will check the wiring again when I am feeling better, and if I don't find anything I probably will just charge it for the rest of the summer, since we had already planned to replace it for next summer. It has been a very dependable rig until this summer, and I have worked on it more this summer than it's entire life, including the time I caught it on fire blowing leaves. . :oops:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:43 pm

Fixed it. I changed the ignition switch a couple weeks ago, and the wire from the regulator to the switch is on a seperate plug that was not making a good contact on the back of the ignition switch.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:33 pm

Dang John.

I was going to tell you that I researched a couple of MTD built mowers. Found out that wire from the alternator is connected to the battery through the ignition switch. Pretty cheezy setup. Must have been designed by one of those people with an engineering degree.

Since you have solved the problem, pay no attention to the information I was going to pass on.

Eugene

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:22 am

glad to hear. 8) 8) 8) 8)
If it's been broken I did it.

If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:40 pm

Eugene:

You got any info on an MTD Turf Trac 10/34? Here they were sold as Co-Op Turf Trac's... seems the manual that I got from MTD Canada is NOT exactly the one I need.. in fact, not even close...

The lawn mower model number appears to be 133 166 507 B163B

MTD Canada says: I believe that your lawn tractor is a 133-466-502 Turf Trac model, manufactured in 1983

It isn't the same critter at all. The one I have here, which belongs to the church, is a chain driven model.. has 3 belts.. plus the chain drive... and I cannot figure it all out.

Right now I am having problems with the chain drive, the belt tensioning, how to actually install the springs for the mower belt tensioning and how to stop the blades from constantly spinning.. (tensioning is the problem I think)..

Also, it really is difficult to operate.. not smooth at all, and I know it has to do with adjustments.. but where :?: :?: :?: that is the question..

So, if you have any leads, I would appreciate, or anyone else for that matter please :!: :arrow: :? :? :?
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:48 am

Rudi:

I have no information on your MTD lawn tractor.

The only information I have concerns generic wiring diagrams for MTD built machines.

Taking the granddaughters on a float trip in a few minutes. I'll try and research the problem upon our return.

Eugene

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:42 pm

Our local library has Chilton styled books for lawn tractors/mowers. The library also participates in interlibrary loans. Throwing this out as a thought.

When I get a chance I will find out what references our library has concerning MTD products.

Eugene