This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Jinma 284

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Jinma 284

Postby allenlook » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:38 am

Well fellas, I broke down and did it... I spent too much time working on the Cub and not enough time using it, so I made the 3-hour drive to RI and picked up a new Jinma 284, still in the crate and requiring some assembly!

I couldn't beat the price, less than $5400 for a 3-cylinder diesel, 4WD, 3-pt. hitch tractor with power steering, folding ROPS, canopy, blah blah blah. Now I'm just hoping the quality is as good as I read about on those "other" forums :D

Here's some pictures...

At 3,000 pounds, I couldn't budge it off the trailer, so in this photo I've already got the crate taken off, the front jacked up and the front wheels put on. Albeit backwards I think!

A view of the left side of the engine.

A view of where the 3-pt hitch will go.

A view of the right side of the engine.

A view of the front of the hood, axle, etc.

A view of the power steering ram in front of the axle, at least it is protected by a cutout tube.

A view of the steering assembly on the front right wheel.

The rear tires that have to go on next. They are heavy.

The front case weights and the rear swinging hitch?
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Hengy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:02 pm

Well Looky there! :shock:

Nice looking little tractor, Allen! It is even the RIGHT COLOR! :wink: :wink:

May you have many many years of good luck with it!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:49 am

Neat, csn't beat that price even in the used 4x4 market :D . Where is Jimma made? Are your front tires on backwards? I have a 87 John Deer 850 3 clylinder diesel 4x4 it is actually made in Japan by Yanmar, so far its been very reliable with no troubles :D .....

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby allenlook » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:25 am

Jinma is made in China, and they are mostly sold in the U.S. under other brand names. The NorTrac series from Northern Tool, and the Farm Pro series from Homier are just two of the "American" tractor lines that are made by Jinma. There are a half-dozen other Americanized brand names as well, like Rebel, AgKing, and some others I can't remember.

I researched tractors for 3 years and finally came to the conclusion that I could not beat the price and features of the Jinma series. There have been relatively few problems with them, and they've gotten substantially improved over the past several years.

Being used to working on my Farmalls, I wasn't afraid to pick up a wrench and try assembling a tractor without much in the way of instructions. While there isn't a forum as strong as this one yet, there is still a great deal of information available online at http://www.ctoa.com, http://www.nycto.com, http://www.johnstractor.com, etc.

And yes, I believe *all* of the wheels are on backwards at this point, but my main concern is just getting the tractor down off the trailer where I can drain all the fluids and change all the filters. I have to get the trailer back to the owner so I'm putting it together with moderate haste :D
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:25 am

Allen,
Be real careful and pay very close attention when you are changing the fluids. A friend of mine just returned one of those tractors because the engine started blowing oil out the exhaust and shut down after about 2-hours of use. The dealer (Bobcat of Buffalo) re-built the engine, and it happened again after about 1-hour of use. They gave him his money back. I hope you have better luck.

Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby allenlook » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:41 am

The tractors carry a warranty of at least 12 months on the major components, and parts are readily available (unlike several years ago,) so I figure any issues I have I'll be in at least the same boat I am when I have trouble with the Cub :D

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”