This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Help/Advice - Transportation Business Questions

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Help/Advice - Transportation Business Questions

Postby gitractorman » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:38 am

This is not directly involving tractors, but could be a potential service to us all.

My good friend and I are considering starting up a transportation business, using dually pickups and gooseneck trailers (resources that are readily available to us with little expenditure. Our idea is to haul cars and equipment locally, transport "snowbird" automobiles between the southern US and the northeast, transport of antique vehicles purchase across country, and be able to haul equipment for farmers, tractor shows, produce, etc. Another potential help/client, could be a full-time Cub Express, offering low cost transportation for forum members (especially if something can be piggybacked onto an existing scheduled load).

We are both experienced (through work and hobbies) at hauling trailers, cross country driving, trucks and mechanical aspects, transporting heavy equipment, and I am fairly familiar with DOT regulations and requirements.

The idea behind this is the fact that my friend a single guy, has worked in construction, and wants to work for himself. We can start the hauling company with him as a primary driver, and I can help on evenings and weekends, and as business grows (hopefully) I can leave my current job and do this full time. This would give us two trucks and trailer setups, and/or a partner to help drive on long haul trips, etc.

Since everyone here has such helpful advice, I really value your judgement and input. What are your thoughts on this? It seems that there is a market for this type of smaller hauling, do you agree? What obsticles could I encounter (I have thought of several, but would like more input)?

We are not trying to take over a market, or get rich on this. We have thought long on how to start a business that we would both enjoy, utilizing resources that are available to us, and something that can sustain our lifestyles.

Thank you in advance for all of your help. Please feel free to respond to this, or e-mail or PM if you would rather keep your thoughts private.

Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:02 pm

I see you mentioned DOT. Road tax will also become involved. With a service like that you can't afford to deadhead on your back hauls. You will also need to have more than 1 vehicle per load or fuel will eat you up.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:21 pm

First step will be to check into insuarance.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:30 pm

due to the weight these vehicles can haul they have made it so as you need a class a cdl ,and will have to get your vehicle DOT numbers.most people don't realize these haulers need the class a,if you already have them that is half the battle :!:
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:58 pm

Suggest talking to a whole bunch of people who are or have been in the business. Get their opinions.

I know nothing about the business. My neighbor has tried three times to start and operate a hauling business. Actually 4 times.

1) first time. hauling automotove parts from one store to another through out the midwest. Lasted about 2 weeks. Paid per unit delivered.

2) second time. hauling freight for a manufacturer. all over US and Canada. Paid based on mileage.

3) third time. hauling books for a local distributor. All over US. Paid based on mileage.

4) fourth time. hauling travel trailers from manufacturer to customer then picking up stock tailers and bring them back close to Missouri. US. Pay based on mileage. This one probably was the closest to making a decent wage.

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:39 am

Bill,

I know Ford Motor Co. has independent contractors haul their cars and trucks on trailers pulled by one ton trucks. I see them haul into work all the time.

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:11 pm

Check into "Hot shot " Haulleres, That is the type of work you are discribing. The guy's above quite well nailed alot of your first steps DOT ECT ect. It can be done and it's lots of work, Do your resurch, and double the problems and then tell us you still want to do it :shock: Jack

Russell F
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38370

Postby Russell F » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:30 pm

We use a 'hot shot hauler" at work alot, we use them alot for 'quick' and 'right now' stuff cause they are hungry and are more economical for light work compared to large hauling companies. The guy we use runs 3 - 3/4" ton dodge diesel pickups, and uses 1 large gooseneck, 2 medium goosenecks and has a small extra heavy 12' bumper pull for his long haul small part loads. He has a contract with us and is the first to get most of our loads. We use him for hauling our outsourced parts and for emergency part runs. We pay quite a bit but his operating costs are surprising.

There have been alot of hot shot companies come and go around here, they have a low overhead equipment wise, you can pick up a good used 1 or 3/4 ton diesel truck with trailer for 20-30k. But when you start adding in taxes, insurance, licenece fees, and the seat time involved to make all that money back...it's hard to see making a whole lot. Plus you gotta drum up all the work in the first place...

The guy i mentioned earlier is a retired longhauler, and has 2 other retired long haulers working for him. They are on the road alot, gone alot, but they seem to be breaking even. But they have lots of exp under their belts. Theres more to truckin than drivin a truck....

jusy my 2cents....