This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What type welder

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ritter107 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:42 pm

I would say a nice used Lincoln 225 AC/DC buzz box would work nicely. It'll do anything you need. Personally, I think everybody should learn on a stick welder. Too many kids now adays don't even know what a stinger is! :P
In IH Cub Cadet I trust....

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:55 pm

I use the same type storage system as Eugene does. Although, I do now have a fridge (kinda burnt in the freezer area) that could be put to use.. nah... smells too much :!: :roll: :cry:

My favourite rods so far are 6011 and 7014 and I am learning to weld with a few other sticks. And yes. Everybody should learn on a stick welder first. Welding is easy... getting a GOOD weld, now that is a trick :!: :big smirk: :big yuk:

I also have a mig - gas capable.... nice little rig, but I really need to get proficient with a stick. Best all around. Plus I get to use my Auto-Darkening helmet... which is a blast :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:17 pm

I have a Lincoln tombstone 225 AC welder and an English built wire welder, but when I want to do something fancy I weld with O/A. O/A is also good for brazing. I'm surprised the O/A hasn't been mentioned earlier.

I was disappointed with a larger welder that was supposedly capable of MIG, TIG, spot, AC, and DC so It quarantined it about 10 years ago.

Donny just pointed to this example of O/A welding earlier today.

http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28536
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:33 pm

If you are only gonna have one welder, my choice would be a 225 amp AC DC you can weld all steels plus cast iron. Once you get fairly proficient, you can get 6012 or 6013 in 1/16 dia. and stitch weld pretty light stuff like battery boxes, fenders. Like Rudi, I like 6011 for rough, rusty welding and 7014 for new or clean material.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:47 am

If you have 220v available i'd go with the lincoln 225amp tombstone arc welder. If you go with a 110v wire feed(MIG) welder make sure you set it up for gas forget the flux core. For mild steel i use stargon gas, it welds better plus less sparks too.

My 225amp welder is pretty old now and still working.

You can stick weld steel, castiron and alumimum too.

I just picked up a portable 200amp hobart gas engine welder that is 100% duty cycle. It has a 220v & 110v outlets which i'm thinking of piggy backing a 110v/125amp MIG welder on it too.

Learning how to weld has opened up a whole new world for me, my ideas have become reality. I design and build all my own stuff its fun.

I went to school for welding and did A/O first. Then i took arc courses and our guru welder gave me crash courses on the MIG, TIG and plasma just before he quit the job.

Then I joined the AWS (american welding society) and took all there courses in structual design, weldind processes, non destructive welding inspection, welding inspection and welding safety and health. Its a great way to learn and improve your knowledge.

Remember your vertical welds are the strongest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember with Vertical welds only go in an up direction never go down in a vertical weld its not getting the right heat and penetration when you go down in a vertical weld.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:39 pm

I've got both stick and wire. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

As for someone learning to weld. Start with a stick welder and 6011 rod. WHAT???? Why learn to weld with one of the most difficult rods to use? Because once you learn to run 6011 rod, you can run any other rod. The reverse is not always true.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

flyawa
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66701
Tractors Owned: .
1 1948 Cub
2 1950 Cubs
1 1951 Cub
1 1952 Cubs
1942 Farmall H
1939 Ford 9N
1930 John Deere D
1941 John Deere B
1948 Allis Chalmers C
1956 Farmall 400
1945 Chrysler Airport Tug
Location: KS, Fort Scott (S.E. Kansas - Home of the people of the south wind; the Kansa)

Postby flyawa » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:58 am

Dad taught me to weld with his home made welder. It was an old model T ford that had the transmission replaced by an old street car motor that was wired as a generator. Heat of weld was controlled by the throttle.

We were too poor to buy welding rod so we used old coat hangar wire and borax for flux.

Makes my buzz box welder seem like high tech.
"Maintain thine airspeed lest the Earth rise up and smite thee"