This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Different brands garden tractor's? Older engines?? opinions

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cubguy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49265

Postby cubguy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:02 pm

Sweet, can't wait to see pics.
Kyle
1940 Farmall H, 1947 farmall cub, 1958 David Bradley SP, 1964 cub cadet 70, 1965 Bolens 1000, 1966 cub cadet 123, 1973 Mf 12 http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/truckguy_02/

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:09 pm

George!--That IS one tuff looking little tractor!--Never saw one of them before! thanks; sonny

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:05 pm

Pics sent, there on the way. These tractors are diamonds in the rough, well really in rough shape. We talk about our cubs being neglected just wait till you see these. My son can't believe the engines still turn over. I want to paint them up after there running too so they will look great too. Right now i'm having a blast with the smaller tractors.

I found out my bolens 1053 has a locking differential and thats what i was looking for my cadets/cubs. With all the great thinking minds here there has to be a way we can come up with an idea to lock the diff's in our fcubs, intcubs and cadets too?

That AMIGO looks like a Jim Dandy / economy tractor with the castiron tranny. Or we shrunk a fcub and knowing GW he figured a way to do it?

Somewhere in my tractor books there is a guy who made a small scaled down F20 farmall tractor that really works.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Hengy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:16 pm

I would like to get an old National Riding Reel Mower. That was one other piece of equipment I remember my Uncle having when I was a kid. Hand clutch (engaged a belt) one speed...(slow). Single reel. It was nice to pull a lawn cart around to pick up leaves and twigs from the yard. Did a nice job mowing unless you let the grass get too long...

Anyone have one of these in a single-reel set up? I have seen sevaral, but they are all in the three reel gang setup like for a golf course...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

BILL PASTOR
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BILL PASTOR » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:54 pm

I WILL TRY TO GET PICS OF THE MOW CYCLE SOON!--BILL
3-9NS,2 -ALLIS B, 1-ALLIC C,FARMALL F-12,CUB,NEW HOLLAND 1920 W/ LOADER&BACKHOE

trac48
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: J7Z1B7

Postby trac48 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:59 pm

BigBill wrote:Pics sent, there on the way. These tractors are diamonds in the rough, well really in rough shape. We talk about our cubs being neglected just wait till you see these. My son can't believe the engines still turn over. I want to paint them up after there running too so they will look great too. Right now i'm having a blast with the smaller tractors.

I found out my bolens 1053 has a locking diffehttp://photos.cubfest.com/albums/u ... jpgrential and thats what i was looking for my cadets/cubs. With all the great thinking minds here there has to be a way we can come up with an idea to lock the diff's in our fcubs, intcubs and cadets too?

That AMIGO looks like a Jim Dandy / economy tractor with the castiron tranny. Or we shrunk a fcub and knowing GW he figured a way to do it?

Somewhere in my tractor books there is a guy who made a small scaled down F20 farmall tractor that really works.
ImageImage

trac48
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: J7Z1B7

Postby trac48 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:07 pm

those are big bill new tractors: Image

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:39 am

Like i said they need some cleaning up. I like bringing the dead back to life its a shame to scrap pieces of garden tractor history too.

Look at the top right pic of the white and blue montgomery wards hydroststic 16 you can see the size of the briggs engine, heck that tractor is all engine. Its 16.5 hp. and i'll get some pics of the attachments for it. The tiller is a monster and its in the class of a small farm tractor not a garden tractor its all castiron. My cub cadet tiller is nowhere near the tiller this one is.

Ever think about what it would cost today to replace these tractors with a new one? It was estimated that the Bolens replacement would cost around $4,000 while the larger wards with attachments would run around 7 to 9k. This makes the older tractors gold if there running good....and people just have them sitting in there yards rotting away, what a shame, shame, shame....

So many tractors and so little time....
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

cubguy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cubguy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:28 pm

A couple of good looking tractors.
Kyle
1940 Farmall H, 1947 farmall cub, 1958 David Bradley SP, 1964 cub cadet 70, 1965 Bolens 1000, 1966 cub cadet 123, 1973 Mf 12 http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/truckguy_02/

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:14 am

Update; I think we have another Cubber in the near future!!!! My youngest son is interested in tractors now. Since the wards tractor is his he is talking about doing the complete tear down and cleaning and painting it all up. I think he is really on board now with tractors. I told him to go slow with the teardown, take pictures were its needed so it goes back together correctly if i'm not there. The govenor and throttle setup is the most important. I could figure it out but if i'm not there to take it apart a pic would be easier to go by. The montgomery wards is his first tractor so its going to be interesting. Once he drives it here we go another cubber for sure.... I told him we could have a lot of fun doing this and there is a never ending supply of older tractors.
Now if i can get my oldest son away from his new girl friend for a while he will get interested in something else too...and join us fixing tractors too.
I want to pass on some information/knowledge to them before i pass on...
My cub cadet 1000 is on the work pad right now and the bolens project is next.
On my Bolens it has the locking diff and a hi/low range. With the hollow tube frame I been thinking of replacing the hollow tubes with solid tubes and i have the steel bar stock already here. It would add some low center of gravity weight. Then the loaded tires and wheel weights and maybe a weight box on the rear should balance out the FEL. I like the hi/low range and the locking diff for the FEL. I already know that traction is a problem with the smaller tractors with FEL's. And when the tractor is nose down its a big problem too.

cubguy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cubguy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:25 pm

You are going to need a bigger barn in the future. I love my bolens 1000, they are good little tractor. Keep up with the updates.
Kyle

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:00 pm

Were thinking of a new two story barn for all my collectables. The problem is I can fill it now. So i need a tractor shed and a car port too besides the barn. I'm trying to plan everything out now so it will work and make my life easier. I need to plan on my health getting worse down the road but i still want to do what i'm doing now. The cub cadet 70 is my hoveround right now. On a good day were I can just walk a little I can just get up on my Fcub. On bad days I can just look at it and ride my cadets. It all works out and i'm playing the hand that God delt me to the fulliest and i'm enjoying what i can do. The tractors do all my work now.

The Bolens looks like its going to be a neat project. I need to take apart the wisconsin engine because it won't turn over completely. I think the flywheel housing is jammed up with a mice nest. I ordered a complete gasket set for it anyway.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:16 am

Update; We finally got the time to take some of the montgomery wards hydrostatic 16 apart. We removed the 16hp single cylinder briggs so we could checkout whats inside the flywheel housing. It was packed tight with mice nests. After looking at it I deceided to remove the head and checkout the bore and the piston fit. This is the first used engine were i found the piston to be so tight, there's no wobble or movement in the bore at all. Since the piston and bore appear to be in excellent condition with no ridge at the top of the cylinder at all i was thinking of replacing the rings anyway because we have it apart. This tractor has a weird setup. The engines baseplate (oil pan) is also the tractors front end bracket too. Since we have the pan off too with the head off its cake to hone the cylinder and replace the rings since its all opened up anyway. This model was alos sold under the Ford name too and other names too but it was soley manufactured by Gilson.

This is great experience for my son too. He's cleaning all the parts up and soon he'll be painting them too. I told him when he finishes this one i'll buy him another one to work on. I told him you can always hussle a buck with used tractors if your ever out of work it can fill in the inbetweens while looking for another job or make some extra $$ on the side in your spare time. The knowledge of how to make an extra buck is a good thing nowadays the more trades you know the better.