This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Big Green machine

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Big Green machine

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:18 am

A neighbor of mine in PA has a JD 520 he's considering selling. Anyone have some experience with these machines as to problems and issues to check for?
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:17 am

We don't have a 520, but do have a 1960 730-Diesel that we used a lot when I could get on it to drive it!
The 520 would be a nice little tractor! thanks; sonny

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:15 am

They are a good machine. Equivilant to a B with just a little more HP and live power. A good seat and a great sound. My old boss has one that he pulls and does well with it. As with a Cub check all the fluids for water and look for leaks around the crank and the PTO. Make sure the clutch goes in with a good solid clunk and snaps back out. Grab on to the belt pulley and try to move it in all directions. In and out and up and down. Start it up and listen for any rattle in the clutch area and the engine. Give me a call if you want to talk about it.

Jim Reid
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Reid » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:24 am

Carl check the power steering i have had some that worked great some not so good if it has the 3pt hitch that's a plus orginal top link another plus i have seen the 3pts sell for $800.00 another plus would be the wide front with square axle these are selling for $1,000.00 to collectors.
Jim.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:55 pm

Thanks for the advice, fellars. That 520 is supposedly a lightly used original with the single front wheel, not the wide front end or RollaMatic. I'm going to take a look at it later this month if the ice melts enough for the owner into his tractor shed!
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."

Ida Red
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ida Red » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:34 am

You better grab the 520 they are hard to get. One in rough shape rusty, tough looker but running went for$5500 here.Red
IHC made a quality machine and was leader of the pack.Let's keep them running,

49 Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 49 Cub » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:01 pm

There were two on the farm I spent a lot of time on growing up. The only negitive thing I can think of was the power steering leaked.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Re: Big Green machine

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri May 09, 2008 10:04 pm

Update:

Looked the 520 over, it's everything he said it was. Need to get it running next as it hasn't been started in years. "It was running good when parked", that is a story I've heard before! But it shouldn't be too big of a project to get her poppin again, both the distributor and gas tank are sparkling clean inside and the engine appears to have good compression so I'm very hopeful.

JD 520.jpg

We played with this 520 several weeks ago, it belongs to a different neighbor. Gobs of torque - reminds me of a diesel. Cathy liked it too, no broken fingernails!
- Louis Pasteur

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat May 10, 2008 6:53 am

Lurker Carl wrote:Update:

Looked the 520 over, it's everything he said it was. Need to get it running next as it hasn't been started in years. "It was running good when parked", that is a story I've heard before! But it shouldn't be too big of a project to get her poppin again, both the distributor and gas tank are sparkling clean inside and the engine appears to have good compression so I'm very hopeful. ...

Carl,

So, this means you bought it?

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat May 10, 2008 7:19 am

Your mama is gonna be so disappointed in you!!! :lol: :lol:
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Sat May 10, 2008 10:38 am

Didn't buy it yet, the owner is out of town for a month or so. But he said, in the meantime, I could fiddle around with it to get her running.
- Louis Pasteur

smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08070
Tractors Owned: JD 4040
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

Postby smigelski » Sat May 10, 2008 11:06 am

now your going to be thining down the lowboy herd

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Sat May 10, 2008 7:02 pm

Be verrry careful of that hand clutch. Drive it in a big open area for a long while to get used to it. Trust me unless you were brought up on them hand clutches can be dangerous. It takes a long time to train the brain to use the right hand not the left foot. Right Rudi. :lol:

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Sun May 11, 2008 10:43 pm

Thanks for the heads-up, Cecil. I'm used to hand clutches on motorcycles and Gravelys but not tractors. That will take some getting used to but the green color should help trigger the brain cells. I have a big and empty field to play in, nothing except groundhogs to get in my way.

That particular incident still looms large in my memory. Larry and I thought we were a safe distance away. NOT!
- Louis Pasteur

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Mon May 12, 2008 8:23 am

I would be careful working on a tractor I didn't own yet. At least you will increase the price if you get it running.
I have had people back out of deals after I got the machine running. My policy now is to remove the machine or close the deal before I work on the machine.
Best,
Mike
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994