This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Another Kind Of Tractor

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Another Kind Of Tractor

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:56 pm

Here is another favorite tractor of mine; an Air Tractor Model 602. I have been a long-time fanatic of ag aircraft and this one is my favorite.

This tractor can cover some ground in a hurry :!: The AT-602 cruises at a speed of 182 mph and a works at a speed of 145 mph. It's wingspan is 56 ft. and it weighs 5,600 lbs. The Pratt and Whitney turbine on the front of this tractor churns out 1,050 HP at 1700 RPM.

Here is a youtube link of in-flight video footage which lasts about 10 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Lf2kmUJXA

Here is a link to Air Tractor, Inc.

http://www.airtractor.com/
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Another Kind Of Tractor

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:36 am

Machines such as that have always fascinated me. They aren't used in this part of the country, so I always stopped and watched them every chance I got when traveling to my in-laws in central AR.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86040
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub "Black Cat"
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:39 pm

I heard a radio report recently that said that crop dusting was one business in danger of going extinct in the next ten years, primarily due to the increase in GM foods and such...
Nice machine though. Saw some modified for fire fighting here in AZ not too long ago.
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

Pony Master
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62253

Postby Pony Master » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:16 pm

I have had one like this flying over my house for the last 2 years. It sure does not take him long to get the job done. He comes real close to the top of the house.
1947 Circle Cub, 193, 189
1954 Cub w/FH, IH100, 194, F11
1956 Cub Loboy w/FH and 194
1960 Cub Loboy w/FH and L-54
1953 Super A, 2 seater B, Avery V, Avery A, JD M, MH Pony, Leader D, Allis Chalmers C, and my Great Grandpa's ZA Minneapolis Moline.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:56 am

CB:

The Air Tractor is a pretty cool bird. Not used only for crop dusting but are also excellent fire fighting aircraft and are similar to close ground support fighters, they can drop retardant on a dime and do on a regular basis. For a Navy type, I am really into birds of all kinds.... so living by the airport and parallel to the primary runways I get to see my fair share of birds

The other day there was a fire out at Turtle Creek - our city's main reservoir. I got a real treat -- 3 Air Tractors and 1 TBM Avenger. I think it is the last Avenger still flying as a water bomber and I think the last of 2 or 3 Avengers still flying at the moment period world wide.

It is really neat to hear the roar of the P&W turbines in concert with the unmistakeable husky rumble of a radial. Magnificent :!:

FPL has 6 or 7 AT-802-F series aircraft such as this one:

And of course who could forget these?

I have other pics of the Avenger's just not on my puter yet.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86040
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub "Black Cat"
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:03 pm

Rudi wrote:1 TBM Avenger. I think it is the last Avenger still flying as a water bomber and I think the last of 2 or 3 Avengers still flying at the moment period world wide.

Wow, that's really cool Rudi!!! I gotta admit to a bit of jealousy there, though I guess if you've got to have a fire nearby to bring that bird around, well...
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:28 pm

I have always enjoyed watching a crop duster in action. That was one occupation we automatically red-lined when it came to insurance. :!: :!:
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:09 pm

Bud we have had 2 Ag Cats and a Bell hellicopter crash in 5 days here in central indiana . Both the ag cats lost oil pressure and the Hellicopter lost power. No one was hurt in the crashes but one plane will be recovered at harvest. it was left in the field. you can't mistake that Turbine whine
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”