This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Landscaping Implement Advice?

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Landscaping Implement Advice?

Postby Paul_NJ » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:48 am

Help!

Here I am restoring old tractors, and I don’t know how to put them to good use! I have a number of ground areas, perhaps 50' x 50', where I just can’t grow good grass because the soil needs improvement. Some areas need organic matter blended in with the soil because the topsoil is too dense and hard. Other areas appear way too organic. Apparently the prior owner had been making compost in a number of areas for many years, and the grass just doesn’t have anything firm to hold onto. I believe denser soil needs to be added and blended in. All are filled with small (½ inch, and maybe a few larger) roots. And finally, I’ve got a couple areas where I’d like to remove bushes and heavy weed growth, and clear the soil of roots. I do have a 6 foot back blade I can use to grade, after all of the working is done, prior to reseeding. But what type of implements do I need?

I’ve got a 240U and a 340U with 3 point hitches and PTO’s, just sitting around doing nothing. I’ve been told a box blade may be the way to break up the soil and drag out the roots. Or maybe just a single hook? I’ve also heard the only way to work and mix the soil effectively would be a rototiller attachment. But the new ones, at least, are well over $1000. These are one time projects for me, so investing a ton of money in implements isn’t an option, but I could start looking for used equipment. I’m a novice at this. I’d sure appreciate suggestions and recommendations on effective, and inexpensive, ways to accomplish these landscaping projects.

Thanks

Paul
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Landscaping Implement Advice?

Postby Bigdog » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:33 am

Paul - a rototiller would indeed be an ideal implement for you. You might try looking for a good used one rather than new. You could end up with less money invested in the tiller than if you purchased a box blade, disk, plow, and perhaps even a cultivator setup.
If you don't use a tiller, you will need some type of plow for deep cultivation, then some sort of harrow (disk harrow / spring tooth harrow / spike tooth harrow) to break up the soil. A set of cultivators works well for shallow depth work. You have lots of options and most can be purchased fairly reasonably.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:43 am

HI Paul

You probably would be better off plowing it first. A rototiller does not go very deep and it would be very hard on it trying to break up clay. After it is loosened up the cub with a grader blade is best to level it out. It is a lot easier to control than a back blade. And some great Cub seat time. A picture of the area would be great. A picture of the area would be great. Trying to move dirt very far by pushing or back blading it does not work very well. Unless you have a D6 or bigger.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:42 am

Suggest getting a soil test - since you didn't mention what type of soil you have.

I'm in line with Cowboy. Plow deep, green manure and manure. Local farm auctions have two bottom plows fairly reasonable. Usually in the $100 to $200 range.

A plow will cut roots, up to 2" diameter - depends on size of the tractor. Clearing brush, a heavy duty weed eater and brush blade. Depends on what you want to do with the cleared area. For pasture I kill the brush with brush killer. After dead take the brush down to ground level and leave the roots. Roots will rot away in a year or two.

If you want a garden, Plow, this will cut the roots and turn them up. Pick up and pile by hand then burn when dry.
I have an excuse. CRS.

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743

Postby DanR » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:49 am

Disc the heck out of it in all directions. I don't like the idea of going deep with your clay. What ever you are going to plant consider the length of the root. That's deep enough. Going any deeper will only bring more hard pan and rocks to the surface. Sterilize the soil a couple times this season and turn it over again. Come fall plant a cover crop. Next spring turn that over and you're on your way. A tractor is much easier to drive than a tiller.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:04 pm

If you have an equipment rental place close by, you might price renting a rototiller, etc. for a half day or full day. Have everything ready to go, and do it all in one shot.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:16 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I appreciate all of the help and knowledge. You've given me alot to think about!
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155