This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

12 HP Briggs vertical shaft

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

12 HP Briggs vertical shaft

Postby Song » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:51 pm

I have a worn out ready to toss riding mower with a great running 12 HP Briggs vertical shaft. What can I use this engine for? I am ready to throw the mower away and remove the engine to keep for something.
Last edited by Song on Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 12 HP Briggs vertical shaft

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:12 pm

Terry - It would make a great motor for a self-powered snow thrower. I realize that would not be a priority at your location but have you thought of maybe a powered leaf blower or vacuum?
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

cubguy's dad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49265
Tractors Owned: 1938 John Deere A
(owned 38 years)
1953 Cub
(owned 21 Years)
1963 Olds Cutlass
1970 Ford F-350
(Cub Hauler)

Postby cubguy's dad » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:25 pm

Terry,

For a while now, I have kicked around the idea of using such an engine to power my Woods 59 mower deck. Either mounting it to the deck itself (on the right side) or on a drawbar mount that would replace the mule drive. I have a Swisher pull behind that uses an 8 HP on a 48 inch deck that works good, I figure that 12HP would be the minumum for the 59 deck.

I would work up the specs on pulley size for speed of the blades, manual or even electric clutch for disengagement. The Woods Deck blades came with right or left hand rotation so that would not be a problem.

Thats as far as I have got, I thought about doing it last summer but time and finding an engine did not happen, a well maybe soon.

My .02

Mark
Experiance is knowing what NOT to do the next time.......
1937 John Deere A (Big John)
1953 Farmall Cub (LiL Red)
Lots of projects.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:28 pm

Some commercial log splitters utilize a vertical shaft engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:41 pm

When I was a kid about 12 or 13 I built an 8' flat bottom row boat. One of my neighbors worked at Lawrence Labs, in Berkley, and suggested building a jet boat out of it using a 3 hp vertical shaft Briggs and an old washing machine pump. With a little help from him I was able to get it done. It wasn't very fast but it sure beat rowing.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:35 pm

ROTO TILLER!!!---If you have need for one.--Mount it up and have pull type tiller! thanks; sonny

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:28 pm

Terry:

I keep any engine I can lay my hands on.. Dad even sends me his old ones from the garage now that he and Em's mom moved to an apartment. There are all kinds of projects that could use that engine. I use a 8hp Tecumseh Sno-King engine to power my saw table for firewood. I have one set aside to power my Cub Snowblower project and I am looking for another 10 or 12hp engine to power my newly acquired IH50 Snow-thrower.

A lawn vac really sounds like an interesting and possibly useful project for your area of the country. I think that would be a project that would grab the interest of a number of folks. Mark's idea of using it to power a belly mower is interesting as well. Roto-tiller is cool as well.

One thing I have learned is that the physical orientation of the shaft is not a dream limiter.. just an engine to create a different kind of solution :idea: :!: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:15 pm

Rudi wrote:I keep any engine I can lay my hands on.
Me to, any running engine. I strip usable parts off of the junkers.

Put oil on top of the piston, roll over a couple of times. Finger in spark plug hole, roll engine over until you feel compression. Install sparkplug, put on shelf. Be sure to leave engine on compression stroke.
I have an excuse. CRS.

P B G
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60525

Postby P B G » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:05 pm

It may be a bit large, but I've always wanted to make an offset string trimmer for nocking down grass along fence rows.

Figured it would have a tail pivot wheel and two draw bar pins spaced to fit my cub draw bar, with U shaped shackle. It would then drive a spindle mounted on an arm via a belt, would have a simple guard.

Another idea was to have the same idea, but a mower deck with the string trimmer mounted on a sprung arm which would deflect if it contacted the post. This never used to be an issue, but a neighbor put a fence in right up on our property line and I cannot get close to it with my current mower set ups, and detest walking along with a string trimmer to do it.

The spindle would probably just have holes and I would thread 5 or 6 long weed eater lines into it at a time? Something like that, I was thinking PTO drive at first but having it powered by a separate engine would be excellent so I could cut throttle while mowing.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:44 pm

PBG, I do not remember where, but I have seen commercial versions of what you described.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!