This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Old Maytag Engines

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Old Maytag Engines

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:35 pm

I got these two Maytag model 92 engines at auction this weekend. The red one is a 1937 and the white one is a 1936. I got the red one running with fresh fuel and a light sanding of the points through the access plate.......boy was it tough to work in that tight area. I put some 50:1 mix fuel in it (already had it) so I hope it doesn't hurt it too bad besides all the extra smoke. She starts on the 2nd or 3rd kick and runs well....at least I think so.

The white engine pictured isn't running quite right yet. I went ahead and did the same to it.....fresh fuel, and sanding of the points. I had to sand these points for a minute as there was a buildup spot on them. Once I did that I kicked it several times with the help of a little bit of ether. I got one single pop after about 20 kicks. I then decided to try and start it with the other engine by using an old belt that was laying around. This proved to be successful in getting the white engine to "hit" and start running but when I took off the "power supply" the white engine would die and not stay running. Came back 3 days later, and this engine fired off with the 2nd kick. It sounds like it runs "wide open" and only runs with the mix valve on "half-way" or between that and "closed". It will die when moved towards "open". It doesn't smoke as much as the red one either.

I've never been around engines like this, so I really don't know what is right and what is wrong.
Attachments
IMG_1981.JPG
IMG_1979.JPG
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Old Maytag Engines

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:38 pm

Here are a few videos of them. I need to come up with an ice cream freezer, or SOMETHING for them to power. It would be fun doing something with them at a show or when friends come over. Enjoy!!

1937 red one First Start
http://youtu.be/lxfLFTLEgcI

1937 red one – Running Good
http://youtu.be/XAk3VPuiobI

1936 white one - Running
http://youtu.be/tykwj351PBs
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:57 pm

Running 50/1 is not going to make the engine last long. It will run too hot. You need 16/1 or ever 20/1 oil mixture. Just use some 20 or 10/20 oil in your mixture.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:28 am

I just ran them probably 10 minutes total with that mixture. I will drain and re-fill with 8 oz of 2-cycle oil per 1 gallon of gas, as someone had suggested to me.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”