This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Circle Cub serial numbers

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cubguy's dad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49265
Tractors Owned: 1938 John Deere A
(owned 38 years)
1953 Cub
(owned 21 Years)
1963 Olds Cutlass
1970 Ford F-350
(Cub Hauler)

Re: Circle Cub serial numbers

Postby cubguy's dad » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:59 pm

One thing for certain is the uncertainty,

I started my career with Harvester almost 35 years ago and unlike John Deere, Harvester never kept very good records on production changes or numbers.

Just as mentioned earlier the decsion was made to change on July 28 and the change would take place when the current stock ran out. I do not doubt that one bit.

The other change that provokes much discussion is when did Harvester change paint from Blue/grey to Red. Answer sometime in 1936 when the last of the Blue/Grey paint ran out the next tractor was painted Red. This info was provided by some assembly line workers of the time period. Again you have to look for the original paint for your tractor.I would suspect that the Circle Cub decal was the same way.

Another way you can tell an early resto job is by the quality of the decals. Todays decals are far better than what was available as replacements from the dealer. Just look at some of the pictures from original decals to Dealer replacement decals to what is available today and you can see the difference.

I was really excited to get my first set of Jack Hunter Decals almost thirty years ago because they were a marked improvement from what was available from the dealer and they looked original and provided a great finish to the paint job.

We can not help much on this disscussion as Kyle's 1947 Cub decals were weathered off into non-existance. But we will keep on the look out for the next Circle Cub

Mark
Experiance is knowing what NOT to do the next time.......
1937 John Deere A (Big John)
1953 Farmall Cub (LiL Red)
Lots of projects.

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Trent M » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:24 pm

Mark- I believe you are right. I posted the picture of the '49 to show the decal. This tractor originally had "McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub" on the hood decals. Also, you can tell the hood decal just doesn't look quite right, color is off. Being restored in the '60s was the point. My great aunt and uncle could have cared less about original decals (obviously). They did care enough to stick some on there, but they probably never noticed the difference.

I would be GREATLY shocked to find out someone put the Circle decals on 3523 during the 1960s. They would have looked high-and-low (without the internet!!) back then to maybe find some. The "McCormick Farmall Cub" decals were the dealer replacement at the time (still are?).
Trent McPeak

pnoack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55122

Postby pnoack » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:16 pm

Authentic circle cub serial numbers go at least up to 3555. This cub has been in my family since it was brand new. I have a picture of my grandfather with it from 1947 and it has the circle cub decals. Today, the tractor has the farmall cub on the hood. My grandfather always talked about how when he painted it in the 60's, he could not get the circle cub decals from the dealer. You can clearly see where the circle cubs were painted over, And an even make out the "cub" on one side. My dad and I are in the process of restoring it and changing it back to its original form. The tractor is in great shape! We still use it today.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:00 pm

pnoack wrote:Authentic circle cub serial numbers go at least up to 3555. This cub has been in my family since it was brand new. I have a picture of my grandfather with it from 1947 and it has the circle cub decals. Today, the tractor has the farmall cub on the hood. My grandfather always talked about how when he painted it in the 60's, he could not get the circle cub decals from the dealer. You can clearly see where the circle cubs were painted over, And an even make out the "cub" on one side. My dad and I are in the process of restoring it and changing it back to its original form. The tractor is in great shape! We still use it today.

Welcome to the Forum!! Glad to hear that you are able to keep a family item in the family. I have my grandfathers tractors as well.
I believe I speak for everyone here when I say that I'd love to see some photos of what you are working with, both the old photo that you speak of and where the circle cub decals on the doglegs.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:06 pm

Also, if you are interested, I'd love to have some of the numbers off your tractor. Click the "F-Cub Database" link in my signature block for details of what I've collected so far. Its certainly not mandatory, but every little bit helps!

pnoack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55122

Postby pnoack » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:39 pm

Farmall circle cub 1947
Attachments
image.jpg
This is a photo on my grandfather
image.jpg (436.63 KiB) Viewed 460 times

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:59 pm

Great photo, I'd sure like to see what that dealer decal says on the side. That for posting.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Hoyt-Clagwell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07853
Tractors Owned: 47' Cub

Postby Hoyt-Clagwell » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:41 pm

Love the picture! My cub is only 300 numbers newer than yours. I think we'd be next door neighbors on the database ;). Good luck with the restoration.

lliberto
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 26062
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94614

1952 Farmall Cub
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100147

2011 Husqvarna YTH24V42LS

Postby lliberto » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:21 am

Trent M wrote:Restored tractors end up with Circles on them all the time. Sometimes folks just like 'em and want to use 'em. Also, there are generic decal kits out there that include the Circles and I'm sure many of those are used.

Another clue to look for: because the word "Cub" was in the Circle on the doglegs, "Cub" was not needed on the hood decal. The hood decal for a Circle Cub reads "McCormick-Deering Farmall."

Just to confirm, a Circle Cub would defiantly have the McCormick-Deering Farmall decal on the hood and not just the McCormick Farmall decal?

lliberto
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 26062
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94614

1952 Farmall Cub
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100147

2011 Husqvarna YTH24V42LS

Postby lliberto » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:59 am

Trent M wrote:Mark- I believe you are right. I posted the picture of the '49 to show the decal. This tractor originally had "McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub" on the hood decals. Also, you can tell the hood decal just doesn't look quite right, color is off. Being restored in the '60s was the point. My great aunt and uncle could have cared less about original decals (obviously). They did care enough to stick some on there, but they probably never noticed the difference.

I would be GREATLY shocked to find out someone put the Circle decals on 3523 during the 1960s. They would have looked high-and-low (without the internet!!) back then to maybe find some. The "McCormick Farmall Cub" decals were the dealer replacement at the time (still are?).

My Circle Cub is serial number 1210. One of the previous owners repainted the hood and put new decals on it. As with your aunt and uncle, he cared enough to put new decals on it but not enough to make sure he got them right.
20171104_111207_scaled.jpg

I intend to fix this situation sometime in the future but for now there's a lot of mechanical work that needs to take place first. :wink: