This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

serial numbers

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

serial numbers

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:59 pm

My most recent purchase has no data plate, but the engine serial is FCUBM 2611. Which would make me think probably 1947. the casting code on the engine however is 8*3*S, which would indicate 1949. The engine serial is stamped quite clearly with no indication of a possible light stamp or missing numbers. Any thoughts?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:13 pm

Here are 3 possible explanations:

1) Engine number poorly stamped/misread. The real number would have to be something like 7611x, requiring a misread first digit and a lost last digit.
2) Date code poorly cast/misread. Since engine 2611 was probably put in a tractor in July, 1947, it would require misreading both the month and year.
3) A replacement block with no serial number was installed. The shop that installed it also stamped the original numbers into the replacement block. I would generally consider this the least likely explanation, but in this case maybe not.

Are other date codes in agreement with the serial number or the engine date code? (or neither?)

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Re: serial numbers

Postby George Willer » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:18 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:My most recent purchase has no data plate, but the engine serial is FCUBM 2611. Which would make me think probably 1947. the casting code on the engine however is 8*3*S, which would indicate 1949. The engine serial is stamped quite clearly with no indication of a possible light stamp or missing numbers. Any thoughts?
\

John,

Your engine must be parts of a '47 and a '49 block stitched together! :shock: :D :? :roll:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:47 pm

It took me several trys to get the correct serial numbers off the blocks. The years have not been kind to the engine blocks or my eyes since they were created.