This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dilemma

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
stevey30
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28110

Dilemma

Postby stevey30 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:58 pm

Ok I have a dilemma,restoring my gramps 49,motor is rebuilt,carb,ect,it is in running order except the rear tires, the tires and rims are shot,so I found a 54 donor cub with 2 good rims,1 brand new rear tire,1 brand new front tire and the other 2 tires are decent,has a ton of great parts and I bought it for about a 1/4 less than what the rear tires would have cost.My problem is I was going to use it for parts,but looking it over it is in good shape and all it really needs is a generator to get it running.Should I use it for parts or get it running and sell it,I don't have room for 2 cubs even though I would love to have it.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Dilemma

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:03 pm

Realistically, you don't need a generator for a Cub to run. If you don't have room for two Cubs and since you got it for a good price, I would get it running and sell it, telling the new owner it needs a genny. Then take your profit and buy your tires. If you just rob the parts you need then you will have to start selling the remaining parts.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:16 pm

I agree. It is better (and easier) to sell a running tractor than a parts tractor. The price difference makes the effort worth it.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

stevey30
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby stevey30 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:24 pm

It has been converted to 12 volt,so your saying hook up a battery and some gas and it should start?What about the voltage regulator,it is not on the tractor,he was waiting to get a generator.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:31 pm

Alternative opinion. I would salvage the parts needed to get grandpa's Cub in good shape.

I would swap parts/rim, etc. on to the parts tractor. If the parts tractor's engine runs, you should get most, if not all your money back.

The other alternative is to set the parts Cub behind the shed for a year or two and salvage parts as needed. Then the sell the rest to scrap dealers. Current scrap metal price is around $190- a ton.

The problem is that the price of tires and tubes has increase significantly is the past couple of years. More than likely the price of tires and tubes will continue to increase.

Any way, take a bit of time and think over your decision.
I have an excuse. CRS.

stevey30
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby stevey30 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:41 pm

That's what I was thinking,I really need a front bolster,it also had a mule drive for mower deck and pulley,thought I would keep parts I needed and sell the rest,or maybe trade it for other parts or implement.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:26 am

As long as the ends of the generator wires are taped off so they can't touch the tractor frame and short out, you can run the tractor without the generator. For all intents and purposes, the tractor runs off the battery, and the generator charges the battery.

If the tractor has a magneto, it doesn't even need a battery to run, let alone a generator.

RogerW
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 50662

Postby RogerW » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:56 pm

Been running my cub for 14+years without a generator. Currently have a 12 volt trolling motor battery in it, and a voltmeter, an just charge it up when it gets low.

Return to “Farmall Cub”