This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

weak compresion on 1&2 cylinders

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jlfcub50
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44057

weak compresion on 1&2 cylinders

Postby jlfcub50 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:31 am

My initial problem we thought was electrical on tractor with a J4 magneto. We have resolved those issues, replaced rotor, coil, points ,condenser, plugs and wires and it's producing a good spark and timing is correct. Now even though we sprayed ether in the cylinders it still will not fire (cylinders 1&4), upon further checking it was determined that 1&2 cylinders have virtually no compression 3&4 measure around 60. Could this be a head gasket problem?, looking for some clues ideas on how to proceed.
Thanks

Men are apt to settle a question rightly when it's discussed freely.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: weak compresion on 1&2 cylinders

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:02 am

Have you checked for stuck valves, has it been sitting for a long time?
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:02 am

What is the history on this tractor? Been setting for some time? Outside?

Could be head gasket, worn rings, sticking valves. My guess is valves.

Try a wet compression test. This will isolate the problem to rings, valves, or head gasket.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Larry in WNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14005

Postby Larry in WNY » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:17 pm

Remove the tappet cover and rotate the engine. You'll see if the valves are stuck or moving up and down with the cam. If not moving use penetrating oil or WD40 and try to get them loose.
Larry

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:57 pm

I lean towards valves, first. Could be other issues, mentioned, or stuck rings. I've had to chip the stuck rings out of the groves, on a couple of engines. (Sat a long time). I generally say valves, since the last valve job it had, was probably during the Eisenhower administration.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:47 pm

At best, the 60 pound compression readings on the other two cylinders is poor. Probably not enough to start the engine. I agree with the others that it is probably valves. Squirt a little penetrating oil in each spark plug hole and let it soak a couple of days. Then re-check compression. If you have not already considered it, you could try pull starting the tractor. You might be able to build enough compression to get it to start.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

jlfcub50
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby jlfcub50 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:19 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions as always they are greatly appreciated. The tractor has not been sitting for a long time last run in mid November. Pulled the head off this afternoon and it's gunked up with carbon as is the top of the pistons. I am not familiar with a "wet compression" test could you please elaborate.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:11 pm

jlfcub50 wrote:Pulled the head off this afternoon and it's gunked up with carbon as is the top of the pistons. I am not familiar with a "wet compression" test could you please elaborate.
Same as the dry compression test. The idea of adding oil to each cylinder is to help locate cause of the problem. Oil seals up the gap between the piston and cylinder wall.

Since you have removed the engine head and found the cylinders filled with crud, suggest at a minimum an in tractor over haul. Meaning new rings, lap valves, and new rod and main bearings.
I have an excuse. CRS.

jlfcub50
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby jlfcub50 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:08 pm

Once the head was removed turned hand crank and all the valves are opening and closing as they should, not an expert at these matters but the cylinder walls don't appear to be scored either. Is it worth replacing head gasket and seeing if that resolves the problem? (after cleaning the carbon residue off of the head and the tops of the cylinders)
Thanks again for all the help

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:28 pm

I would pull the engine and rebuild.
I have an excuse. CRS.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:37 pm

Now that you have the head off and see that the valves are moving as they should, might consider lapping the valves to the seats. You can then determine if they are sealing, check for seats that might need work, etc. and eleminate the valve issue. If you want to reinstall and seal up the head and check for compression after seating the valves and still have low/no compression on the two cylinders, the only other place it could be loosing it is worn/bad rings.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:34 pm

jlfcub50 wrote:(after cleaning the carbon residue off of the head and the tops of the cylinders)
Due to the engine design, carbon residue on top of pistons is the result of worn or stuck piston rings.

While some engine oil is able to be sucked into the combustion chamber past the valve stems and guides, it's minimal.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:57 pm

Do take another compression test with the throttle on the carb and choke wide open.

If it doesn't improve remove the side valve cover to see if there stuck open or not adjusted correctly.

This will tell you what to do next.

It's a good thing to use seafoam in your crankcase and gas tank on every running tractor at least once per year. To be positive the valves are lubed and free plus you don't have any stuck rings.

When cleaning your carbon build up remove the intake and exhaust manifold to make sure the ports are free from all blockages from the carbon build up that could exists that's caused by a bad carb.

Spraying either can be like flooding the engine with gas. It can wash the oil film from the cylinder walls so the piston rings are not sealing. They will notice not produce compression. The gas mixture is blowing by the rings into the crankcase. You need to wet the cylinders with a little oil now so the rings can seal.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

jlfcub50
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby jlfcub50 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:57 pm

Does anyone have any good tricks for compressing valve springs? I have the tool we used on the cub cadet but it's seems hard to get it on top of the spring. As suggested earlier we are going to lap the valves, did take the tappet cover off and everything seems to be moving freely. Anyone have another suggestion outside of the traditional lapping tool?, it seems oversized for this application. Thanks to all for making this a good learning experience.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:32 pm

Sears has an inexpensive valve spring compressor with adjustable jaws and adjustable deck height. It takes a 2 x 4 block of wood on the head to work on the Cub engine.

I think you are spinning your wheels. Go for a total engine rebuild.
I have an excuse. CRS.