This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

OT - Press-in grease fittings

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rick ('50, NC)
10+ Years
10+ Years

OT - Press-in grease fittings

Postby Rick ('50, NC) » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:05 pm

I have a small set of Leinback disks (12-disks). The grease fittings are pressed or driven into the bearings. Some of the fittings are dented and/or plugged and will not accept grease, so I want to replace all of the fittings.

My question: What is the best way to remove the old pressed-in fittings? I am planning to remove all of the bearings prior to doing anything, so I can access both sides of the fitting hole.

1. Grab them with a pair of Vice-grips and twist them out?
2. Break off the outside and drive the shank through to clean out the hole?
3. Drive out the fittings from the inside out? Which would also clean the home out.
4. Some combination of the above?

Thanks for any advice.
My worst day on a Cub is better than my best day at the office!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:08 pm

not sure aobut the best removal technique, they have ridges to mske them fit tight,so pulling them out may be a problem. I don't know how hard they are to find, but all the auto parts stores used to sell a tool for cleairing stuck/plugged fittings. it consited of a unit that you hit with a hmammer, and it used grease under high pressure to force them opne.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:02 pm

remove from the back side with a punch slightly smaller than the hole diameter, in doing it this way you won't distort the original bore size and the new fittings will fit properly.