This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rebuilding Touch Control '55 Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
4thGen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub

54A Blade
C22 Sickle mower
189 Two-way plow
59 Woods belly mower

Rebuilding Touch Control '55 Cub

Postby 4thGen » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:20 pm

Are there any vendors who sell a complete overhaul kit for the control unit and pump? I've been looking at the different gasket and rebuild kits at both TM and Steiner, and have only found piecemeal kits. Gasket set A or B, O-ring kit C but you might need to buy special O-ring D, screen filters E and F, boots G, H, or I, etc. I figure if I have the unit open I may as well replace everything serviceable as it leaks like a sieve, takes in water somehow, and lacks enough downward pressure to even slightly move the front suspension. I know for a fact it hasn't been serviced let alone overhauled in at least 18 years. Since I got it in 2014 I've simply been topping off the reservoir after every 2 hours of plowing :lol:

I don't want to buy a few kits and then find out I need to order additional parts. Is this just a situation of needing to pick up the phone, call one of the vendors, and give them the casting numbers?

I'm trying to minimize downtime as I don't have much room in my schedule but would like to get this done in preparation for winter plowing. It's one of those situations such as "if I wash my car today it will rain tomorrow, but if I don't wash my car then it won't rain" :mrgreen:

I also need to pop open the left side final and see what is going on with the brakes, as looking in there with a flashlight I can see that the liner is not even attached to a pin. Safety first!

Casting on TC 360719-R1
Pump 52035R94

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rebuilding Touch Control '55 Cub

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:34 pm

The short answer is “No”. If they produced a “one size fits all” kit, it would be prohibitively expensive, when chances are, you won’t need everything in it. If you want to have everything on hand, just in case, you’ll need to buy it all. Then return what you don’t use.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:30 pm

If I recall, you'll end up using just about everything in the kits. What you'll have to return will cost you more in postage than the credit you'll receive.
I suggest buying all the materials your going to need prior to disassembling the unit. Then wait until you have the time to tear it down and reassemble it all at one sitting. Keep the work area clean and keep your parts clean or you'll be pulling it apart fix it. Search this website for prior post showing in detail the step by step process, it'll be a big help. Others may provide links to aid your search. I think Dale Finch did a really good post with lots of pictures if I recall.
Pay attention to how each piece was removed and it's orientation for reassembly.
Looking at the kit from TM, I think they've got about everything you'll need in the kit. The screen you won't know until you get it apart.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

4thGen
5+ Years
5+ Years

54A Blade
C22 Sickle mower
189 Two-way plow
59 Woods belly mower

Postby 4thGen » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:50 pm

ricky racer wrote:If I recall, you'll end up using just about everything in the kits. What you'll have to return will cost you more in postage than the credit you'll receive.
I suggest buying all the materials your going to need prior to disassembling the unit. Then wait until you have the time to tear it down and reassemble it all at one sitting. Keep the work area clean and keep your parts clean or you'll be pulling it apart fix it. Search this website for prior post showing in detail the step by step process, it'll be a big help. Others may provide links to aid your search. I think Dale Finch did a really good post with lots of pictures if I recall.
Pay attention to how each piece was removed and it's orientation for reassembly.
Looking at the kit from TM, I think they've got about everything you'll need in the kit. The screen you won't know until you get it apart.

Yes, I do a lot more reading than posting and have my silverware tray ready. I am 100% OK with having a few extra parts instead of not having enough. I wouldn't consider doing a job like this unless I could get it done in a day or two in a row - I've seen the self-loathing that happens! :D

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:27 pm

4thGen wrote:
ricky racer wrote:If I recall, you'll end up using just about everything in the kits. What you'll have to return will cost you more in postage than the credit you'll receive.

Yes, I do a lot more reading than posting and have my silverware tray ready. I am 100% OK with having a few extra parts instead of not having enough. I wouldn't consider doing a job like this unless I could get it done in a day or two in a row - I've seen the self-loathing that happens! :D

:lol:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:53 pm

Have you tried your local Case IH dealer?
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:19 pm

In the process of my rebuilds, there were pretty much only 2 extra parts I needed: the screen (Steiner's was less expensive than TM's & comparable), and twice I needed a wavey washer (aka tension spring).

I don't remember which of the 2 wavey washers, but Steiner's has both:
https://www.steinertractor.com/IHS4661-Washer-Hydraulic-Spring-Tension

https://www.steinertractor.com/IHS4650-Washer-Hydraulic-Spring-Tension
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Greenthumbfarms
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 60450
Tractors Owned: 1974 Cub Cadet 1450
1977 Cub Cadet 1650

1950 Farmall Cub (Georgette)
1956 Farmall 230 (Gladys)
1959 Farmall 240 Utility (Heather)
1962 John Deere 4010 Gas with No.45 Loader (Helen)
1966 John Deere 4020 Deisel (Jack)
1975 International Cub (Ozzie)

Postby Greenthumbfarms » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:48 pm

Check the condition of your cylinder boots before ordering parts, they will probably need changing. Dale can attest that I did not order mine before the rebuild, and a few helpful members had new ones in their toolboxes at the Barnyard Bash to help me out.
Secretary with Will County Threshermens Association (Will County, Illinois)
62nd Annual Will County Threshermens gas and steam tractor show July 18-21, 2024 featuring JI Case Steam and gas tractors. All makes welcome
https://www.steamshow.org/

4thGen
5+ Years
5+ Years

54A Blade
C22 Sickle mower
189 Two-way plow
59 Woods belly mower

Postby 4thGen » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:22 am

Greenthumbfarms wrote:Check the condition of your cylinder boots before ordering parts, they will probably need changing. Dale can attest that I did not order mine before the rebuild, and a few helpful members had new ones in their toolboxes at the Barnyard Bash to help me out.

Yes, the boots were invisible so I ordered new ones, thanks! I also ordered a new filter/screen just in case, and grabbed gaskets for the finals since I need to do some brake work as well..

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:40 am

Hi,
If the Touch Control is leaking on the outside of it, the most common thing is the Control Valve leaking.
It has 1 o ring on it.
It is at the front of the unit.
The piston o rings could leak, but it's not as common as the Control Valve o ring leaking, from what I have read on here.

Below is a listing for the Control Valve o ring at TM Tractor, there is a pic at the bottom of the page showing where it is. The Control Valve slides out the front of the unit.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/674fp.htm

Below is a pic from TM Tractor, of the front of a Touch Control, with the rockshaft removed, showing the control valve, at the lower right, right in the pic.
The piston is higher up.
If you use a light, maybe you can see where it is leaking before you take it apart.

There might be nothing leaking at the head end of the unit, which is by the dash.

It is a good idea to replace the oil seals at the final drives, on the upper shafts, where the brakes are, if you remove a final drive, if the seals haven't been replaced lately.
If the seals leak, it can get oil on the brake lining.
There should be no oil in the areas where the brakes are.

There is an oil seal on each side of the brake drum, 1 in the transmission housing, and 1 in the final drive.
Same for the right or left final drive.
The right side is more work to replace the seal in the trans housing, you have to remove the seat post, battery box, loosen the platform, so it will lift up at the rear, and the right side extension, to get to the seal in the trans housing.
TM Tractor has new oil seals, they are 2 different sizes.

Below are their listings, there are pics showing where the seals are. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/df/245fp.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/df/044fp.htm

Below is a post by Dale Finch, showing removing a final drive.
The Cub has the 1st style of brake. A 1955 Cub should have the 2nd style of brakes, the rod is separate from the brake band.
Be sure to buy the right style of brake bands, if you replace the bands.

Be sure to wedge the front axle pivot, before removing parts from the rear of the Cub.
A Cub is heavier on the left side, and can tip over when removing parts of it from the rear.
The wedges are shown in the post, you will have to make them from wood.
Hammer them in tight, be sure they don't hit at the small end.
Check them some during the work, to be sure they don't come loose. :)

viewtopic.php?f=142&t=78436
Attachments
Cub T C 4.jpg

4thGen
5+ Years
5+ Years

54A Blade
C22 Sickle mower
189 Two-way plow
59 Woods belly mower

Postby 4thGen » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:53 pm

Glen wrote:Hi,
If the Touch Control is leaking on the outside of it, the most common thing is the Control Valve leaking.
It has 1 o ring on it.
It is at the front of the unit.
The piston o rings could leak, but it's not as common as the Control Valve o ring leaking, from what I have read on here.

Below is a listing for the Control Valve o ring at TM Tractor, there is a pic at the bottom of the page showing where it is. The Control Valve slides out the front of the unit.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/674fp.htm

Below is a pic from TM Tractor, of the front of a Touch Control, with the rockshaft removed, showing the control valve, at the lower right, right in the pic.
The piston is higher up.
If you use a light, maybe you can see where it is leaking before you take it apart.

There might be nothing leaking at the head end of the unit, which is by the dash.

It is a good idea to replace the oil seals at the final drives, on the upper shafts, where the brakes are, if you remove a final drive, if the seals haven't been replaced lately.
If the seals leak, it can get oil on the brake lining.
There should be no oil in the areas where the brakes are.

There is an oil seal on each side of the brake drum, 1 in the transmission housing, and 1 in the final drive.
Same for the right or left final drive.
The right side is more work to replace the seal in the trans housing, you have to remove the seat post, battery box, loosen the platform, so it will lift up at the rear, and the right side extension, to get to the seal in the trans housing.
TM Tractor has new oil seals, they are 2 different sizes.

Below are their listings, there are pics showing where the seals are. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/df/245fp.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/df/044fp.htm

Below is a post by Dale Finch, showing removing a final drive.
The Cub has the 1st style of brake. A 1955 Cub should have the 2nd style of brakes, the rod is separate from the brake band.
Be sure to buy the right style of brake bands, if you replace the bands.

Be sure to wedge the front axle pivot, before removing parts from the rear of the Cub.
A Cub is heavier on the left side, and can tip over when removing parts of it from the rear.
The wedges are shown in the post, you will have to make them from wood.
Hammer them in tight, be sure they don't hit at the small end.
Check them some during the work, to be sure they don't come loose. :)

http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 42&t=78436

Fantastic, thank you very much!