This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ag Oddities? Have You Ever Heard of These?

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
FarmLadyWannaB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Ag Oddities? Have You Ever Heard of These?

Postby FarmLadyWannaB » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:52 pm

Dear Cubbers,
(BTW, if you're wondering who the heck is this, I joined recently--cf. posting under Introduce Yourself.)

At the barn where I board my horse, the owner has some NEAT old (50's I'm guessing) tractors--a couple of Ford 8Ns (I think) and a Ferguson, AND some stuff I never heard of. :? I think these would make good Ag equipment trivia questions:

1. There's a tractor called LEON... no, that's not its name, it's the brand! :lol: It's orange with yellow lettering, and it has more control levers than a video game (at least 4). :o

2. Then there's a great big watchamacallit agricultural thingie that is also orange with yellow lettering and it says SPERRY :!: New Holland! Now, there must be an interesting merger history there. If you watched 'Wall St. Week' with Louis Ruykeyser (R.I.P.) in the '70s you might remember their 'commercial' introduction: "brought to you by the Sperry Corporation" (my son used to repeat that when he was 2 & that's why I remember :) ). There used to be the Sperry Hutchison company... remember S&H Green Stamps? Then it was just Sperry and they made Sperry Univac computers (I turned down a job in the '70s because the place was using Sperry mainframes--ever heard of a Sperry computer?). But when was Sperry in the Ag equipment business? :?:

Jocelyn, always eager for enlightenment
1948 Farmall Cub ("Lil")
--------------------------
"All things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small, all things wise and wonderful, the Lord God made them all."

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:11 pm

Don't know about the Leon, but at one time Sperry owned New Holland, so the name could be on anythign. Pictures fo both would be good.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:26 am

Leon is not listed as a manufacturer of farm tractors in the "Standard Catalog of Farm Tractors 1890 to 1960".

Doc, your home work assignment. Pictures of the machinery and an in depth interview of the owner about his "Leon" tractor.

Eugene

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:48 am

Sperry - New Holland was in business in the late 60's. We had a dealer near us.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:11 am

:idea: What she is probably seeing is a tractor attachment with the name LEON on it. They make dozer blades, loaders, etc. for many tractors. here is there web-site.

http://www.leonsmfg.com/products.html
Then came Bronson

FarmLadyWannaB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FarmLadyWannaB » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:04 pm

Johnbron, Bigdog, et al.--
You are right :idea: :arrow: : LEON is a loader. The big Sperry-NH attachment is a hay baler. :oops: Hiding underneath those big implements, the tractor is a Belarus (and I DO know what that is). 8) Besides that, the folks who own the farm have 2 other (older) tractors: a Ford (gray) and a Ferguson that (to me) look identical. The barn manager decided to start cleaning out the equipment barn (which is an archaeological site in itself :!: :D ) and I'm hovering to see if they're throwing out anything reusable--like an attachment for a Cub (in my dreams :lol: ). I did say I was frugal. :) So far my only find has been a "Connecticut Farm" license plate. It'll look nice in our garage, or in our camp up in Maine. 8) Who knows what other good stuff might turn up :?: :!:

With thanks for your collective wisdom, Jocelyn
1948 Farmall Cub ("Lil")

--------------------------

"All things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small, all things wise and wonderful, the Lord God made them all."

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”