This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Good news, Bad news day.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Good news, Bad news day.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:31 pm

good - I torqued the impulse weight springs on my magneto on Missy a little more today and it starts much better.

bad - the springs are apprently fatigued to the point they wouldn't stay, after using it a while it was hard to start again.

good- the springs are still available and are on order.

bad- I learned what the weak point is on a cub with a Howard Gear Reducer engaged.

good - it's the top shaft on the final drive, fairly cheap to purchase, and easy to replace.

bad- I don't have a spare and had to order one.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cecil » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:44 am

Look at it this way. At least the bads didn't exceed the goods.

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:58 am

John I was wondering what you were doing when you twisted it off.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Steve Butram » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:03 am

John,
8 HP. Mega torque :lol: Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:12 pm

I was mowing a lot behind the house where we used to have water troughs. It hadn't been mowed in several years and no cattle in ther to keep it grazed this year. I was running about 3/4 throttle in first with the reducer engaged, which gave me a travel speed of a whopping 1 mph approximately. I was going through a depression at the edge of where an old water trough had been many years ago. The depression was about the same radius as the rear tires, so I had a lor more traction than normal. Just as it begna to move out of the depression the Mott frame caught on a half buried railroad tie I didn't know was there. The combination of all combined was too much for the final drive shaft. Hated to break that shaft, but a lot better than part of the reducer or a spidar gear in the final.

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:34 pm

Hi John are you sure there is not something more to that mag like the pawls are worn a little or the pin is worn a little. Usally when you respring the springs they usally work pretty good actuallly back when, IH did not even use springs on the first H4 mags just centrifugal force. I am kinda thinking that you might want to braze a little on the ends of the pawls or weld and file them or even try a different set. I have not been able to find them new my self but yes the dealer can still get the springs.
JON

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:59 pm

That maybe Jon, but wen I used a gram gauge to measure how much force it took to move the weights against the spring it had gottne low again. One that works takes aobut 60 to 65 grams of force to move weight against spring. One I ma having trouble with only tkaes about 35. I can retorque springs to get aobut 65 grams, but after using it awhile they go back to 30 or 40. Hnad crnaking spark is consitent, on a problem with starter engaged.. guess I'l know for sure when the new springs ocme.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:45 pm

Hey John, happened to be watching both upper shafts on ebay. For sale by Ralph! And they didn't sell. So I know where you can find them!

Is that right where the seal is on the differential??
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:26 pm

Ralph is sending them to me Monday.

It would be , but with the reducer the seal sets further out.