This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Final Drive(s) Drain and Refill

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13126
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub "Mule"

Final Drive(s) Drain and Refill

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:33 am

Working my way down my list, with the last stretch of warm weather last week I decided to pull the final drive pans, replace the pan gaskets, and refill with fresh 80W-90. Ordered the gaskets from TM, bought a gallon of gear oil (finally smartened up since between the trans/diff and final drives you're talking close to a gallon anyway, and much more cost effective) on sale, and a tube of black permatex. After gaskets arrived, out to garage I went.

I was a little apprehensive due to some of the horror stories here (pans full of dirt etc.) but all went well. The old gaskets had obviously been seeping for some time as the pan bolts were filthy. With drain pan in place, and latex-gloved hands, I removed each one (side bolts first) I made sure each one had a lock washer, and dropped them one by one into a separate container for a kerosene 'bath'. My prior experience dropping tranny pans as an auto tech came in handy, as I knew what to expect when the pans started to drop. Front bolt next, slowly, and sure enough the pan began to separate from the bull gear housing. The key is a controlled separation to minimize the mess. I let it drain to the top of the pan level, then removed the front bolt. Removed the rear bolt very slowly to let most of the oil drain out of the pan, then removed completely with one hand holding the pan.

The old fluid was surprisingly clean, about what you would expect after 1 season of use. The old gaskets scraped right off, and I used a wire wheel to clean up the pan flanges that the gasket rests on. Washed the pans in kero, wiped dry. Wiped outside with acetone, primed and repainted IH Red. Gave the paint 24 hours to dry, then a thin layer of black rtv on pan gasket surfaces. Assembled gaskets on pans, started each clean bolt with lock washer in each hole, then torqued down each bolt in a criss cross pattern, to tighten evenly. I like to use a nut driver for gaskets that really don't require a torque spec. The object is not to crush and distort the gasket which is a guaranteed leak, but to compress it. A nut driver helps prevent overtorquing, versus a ratchet.

I let it set for 24 hours (per the rtv tube instructions), and refilled both sides. No leaks, no seeping fluid, even after a test drive. One more thing off my to-do list, and the satisfaction of knowing it's done and done right. I like knowing what I got underneath me.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Final Drive(s) Drain and Refill

Postby BigBill » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:25 pm

I often wondered why IH engineers didn’t put drain plugs on the final pans. They could of used flush hex plugs. And made the filler access plug larger.

When I worked for the engineering group the new fresh out of school engineers worked with me. The first thing I taught them, when designing something think of the mechanic who has to work on it, make his job easy.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:45 am

I often wondered that my own self, BigBill. Sure would have encouraged more maintenance in this area. As it is, it's a messy tedious pain in the neck.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison

IHCFan1950
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 71119
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (Barn fire survivor) "Ruthie"
1951 Farmall Cub
1990 Kubota L2250
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby IHCFan1950 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:15 pm

BigBill wrote:I often wondered why IH engineers didn’t put drain plugs on the final pans. They could of used flush hex plugs. And made the filler access plug larger.

When I worked for the engineering group the new fresh out of school engineers worked with me. The first thing I taught them, when designing something think of the mechanic who has to work on it, make his job easy.

I honestly don't know why you couldn't modify them to have drain plugs. Just drill a hole in the bottom the right size, tap it to the correct thread pitch, and there you have it. I know the pan metal is a little thin, but it may be worth experimenting on a "scrap" pair.
If you own 1 tractor you have a interest
If you own 2 tractors you have a hobby
If you own 3 tractors you have an addiction
Anything over that..well your incurable! :lol:

1950 Cub (barn fire survivor) Ruthie
1951 Cub no name yet
1991 Kubota L2250
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:32 pm

I think IH did that for 2 reasons. 1 was price, and second was reliability. A drain plug sticking down that close to the ground would prone to being damaged or knocked out in actual farm work which is what it was designed for. A boss to allow the plug to extend inside the pan would require the pan to be lowered to give room, the gear runs very close to the pan.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:34 pm

When I restore the finals I’ll make changes. I like to change gear oil often.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

JimCub48
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 56377

Postby JimCub48 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:58 am

Welding, brazing a short nipple to the bottom of the pan to accommodate a plug would work so your plug would not interfer with the gear. One could also weld, braze a buffer shied to protect the bottom of the pan. I think it is duable.

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:31 pm

A quick drain and refill with an occasional pan gasket replacement when necessary would sure be a heck of a lot quicker and more convenient, as well as reduce down time.

Larry in WNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14005

Postby Larry in WNY » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:54 pm

Put the drain plug on the back curved side to protect it and raise the front end to help it drain.
Larry

Mrblanche
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 75104

Postby Mrblanche » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:09 pm

BigBill wrote:When I worked for the engineering group the new fresh out of school engineers worked with me. The first thing I taught them, when designing something think of the mechanic who has to work on it, make his job easy.

I have a brother-in-law (well, ex-) who was a maintainability engineer for a large computer company. Yes, such a thing actually exists.

SDiver40
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28025
Tractors Owned: Mahindra 3016, 1951 Farmall Super A

Postby SDiver40 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:58 pm

When I changed my drive fluid on the super A, I installed some drain plugs. The long bolt was just for holding until I got everything welded.
Afterwards I used 1/2 oil pan bolt with Brass crush washers. It's never leaked and dont stick out much at all.

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:59 pm

SDiver40 wrote:When I changed my drive fluid on the super A, I installed some drain plugs. The long bolt was just for holding until I got everything welded.
Afterwards I used 1/2 oil pan bolt with Brass crush washers. It's never leaked and dont stick out much at all.

One thing I see wrong with that is all the metal shavings, dirt, grime, etc will settle in the bottom and it looks like it’s about 3/4” from the bottom of the nut to the bottom of the pan.

If you take them off and clean them you get everything out. How often does the oil get changed there anyway, when someone has a bearing go bad or fixing a leak? Realistically, I’d bet one of those two scenarios.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

MilGunsmith
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07826
Tractors Owned: 1948 Ford 8N
1955 Lo Boy

Postby MilGunsmith » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:49 am

Any difference in doing the change on a Lo Boy? I have a 55 and I don't think it's ever been done. Need to do the brake bands also.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:41 am

Because the LOBOY finals are rotated, the oil is sitting in the lower half of the pan. Makes a super mess when you drain it unless you have prepared to catch it in a drain pain.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:29 am

If you use a 1/2”-20 fine thread nut then a 1/2”-20 drain plug will work with the copper washer. If there’s room between the bull gear and the pan maybe a magnetic drain plug will fit.