This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Touch Ups

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13126
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub "Mule"

Touch Ups

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:31 am

I will never have a 100% show room quality Cub. Nor do I want one. What I have is a 1957 Cub, in excellent overall condition. It is a working tractor, for moderate and light duty work, with a pampered life, garage kept. I use it, not abuse it, working within it's limitations. Trail maintenance, with both level/grader blade and flail mower, trailer towing, snow plowing are it's main gigs. (One of these days, for REAL bull work, I will likely buy a W-4). It will be in 100% mechanical condition when I am through with my front to rear fine tooth comb once-over. I will 'correct' incorrect parts for the year (decals, knobs etc.) within reason. This takes time, patience, and of course money. I make week by week improvements in the $50-$100 (for parts) range. I like it that way. I am always planning and researching my next 3 moves, I always have something to look forward to, and I actually ENJOY working on it, improving it's overall condition.

Usually, as I remove some parts, or receive various appropriate new ones, I will repaint them before reinstalling. Things like the blade face and wear bar, front and rear wheel weights, final drive pans, etc.I repaint more from a maintenance and rust prevention standpoint, and also to improve appearance. Painted clean parts give lookers and stoppers-by (of which I get my share as I live on a busy road, and for some reason people just love old tractors) the impression of a clean, well-maintained machine, and they are 100% right, I take very good care of it. Who says your tractor has to be faded, rusted, filthy and greasy/oily?

Now, my paint jobs are not IH 100% factory (I use-horrors-spray cans), but I do a darn nice job. 2 products I can recommend for ease of application, and long-lasting quality finish are Krylon Rust-Tough primer (available here at Advance Auto Parts), and Rust-Oleum IH Red, available locally at Tractor Supply. Both products are tough to screw up, if you are careful and patient. First, plan your work for a sunny 70 plus degree day, with low wind and low humidity. Second, remove rust off any old parts with an appropriate tool, my fave on most things is a wire wheel attached to my drill. Third, use acetone to wipe surfaces clean, and last but not least read the paint can labels. A lot of simple info there that can save time and frustration. As I said, patience is key. My normal is two coats of primer, and then two coats of paint. Great looking and durable finish.

Be aware this is not a substitute for a professional quality finish on your hood, frame and wheels. However, when repairing and maintaining your little doo-dads here and there, it goes a long way towards helping your tractor last longer, and look it's best. That is my ultimate goal.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison

IHCFan1950
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 71119
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (Barn fire survivor) "Ruthie"
1951 Farmall Cub
1990 Kubota L2250
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Touch Ups

Postby IHCFan1950 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:48 am

These days, there isn't anything wrong with rattle canning a tractor, or anything you want to. The paint quality has improved significantly over the years. I just repainted the bumper of my truck black with Rust-Oleum black. Looks very nice, and has already held up to the car wash, and driving rain. I rattle canned the muffler and exhaust on my tractor during it's restoration. Granted my tractor isn't a "worker", she is a "Shop Queen, and a future "Show Queen", but so far, has held up well. I also have rattle canned the front wheels for it last weekend and they look sharp. If I remember correctly, Rex48 on here was restored using rattle cans. The paint job in my opinion came out to show quality. Please post some pics when you make some more progress! We would love to see how it progresses!
If you own 1 tractor you have a interest
If you own 2 tractors you have a hobby
If you own 3 tractors you have an addiction
Anything over that..well your incurable! :lol:

1950 Cub (barn fire survivor) Ruthie
1951 Cub no name yet
1991 Kubota L2250
Circle of Safety

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:22 am

I'd love to post some pics. My first 'challenge' is, I dropped my phone, and that screwed up my cam lens, so I only have 'selfie' mode, which is awkward at best. What I do is have my gf take the pics, and send to my phone.

I agree with you 100%, if you're patient and do prep the metal, and prime properly, you can do a heck of a nice job once you get a feel for the program.

I like to 'detail', even if it isn't 100% 'correct'. I bought silver high-temp header paint, which I will use to paint my under slung exhaust pipe and associated clamps. Detailing is eye-catching imo. I will also do various engine parts like crankcase oil pan, cooling system inlet and outlet elbows, etc.as I move along.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:23 am

PS "rattle cans" lol. Locally we call them "spray bombs".

xraycajun
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70769

Postby xraycajun » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:08 pm

I am currently painting my '53 with canned paint through a gun. Of course, mine was in need of a complete mechanical and cosmetic restoration. For touch ups, I absolutely plan to hit it with the rattle cans! I hope to never have to clean and spray the entire tractor again! What you are recommending does work well, though... Clean thoroughly with a wire wheel, then wipe down with acetone, two light coats of primer and several light coats of color. Seems to be working so far. This was today's work...
Attachments
Tractor-102.JPG

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:44 am

Looks great! Results are always worth the effort, not to mention self-satisfaction and pride of ownership!