This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

DING!! In the shower and a light goes on for my fuel problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

DING!! In the shower and a light goes on for my fuel problem

Postby Dan Stuckey » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:22 pm

So my fuel problem didn't go away as I hoped and had a sucky day mowing this afternoon. 49 with a 59'' Woods mows, and mows well....well most of the time. Seems it'll run well for 30 mins, 45 minutes, whatever. Then it begins cutting out, at times stalling even if I push in the clutch.

I'm at the end of my frustrating day, backing it under the shelter for the day. Im sure its the carb that's screwing up and really want to send it to someone that knows these better than I and go over it good. So it shuts off and I thing, pull off the new rubber fuel line I just installed a couple weeks ago. Loosen the clamp quick, pull off the line at the carb inlet and just a drop or so of gas comes out. So I blow into the hose until I hear the gas bubbling in the tank, release and gas flows nicely. So I gather dirt, debris, rust must be gathering at the inlet to the fuel shut off.

Well in the shower this evening thinking about this and WHAMO!!!! It hits me. Is the gas cap vent plugged and negative pressure in the tank messing me all up? I have a new style cap on it but it is probably 15 years old or so. It stands to reason as my tank is clean and rust free inside, I never see and crap in the glass bowl. It must be the cap vent. I work on a lot of mowers and snowblowers and see this problem from time to time. So have any of you ever had this problem or heard of anyone that has? I cant get back to the Cub for a week but so anxious to run til the problem pops back up, crack the cap a bit and see if this is my actual problem. What do you guys think?

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Re: DING!! In the shower and a light goes on for my fuel problem

Postby Lt.Mike » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:35 pm

I had that happen with my JD lawn tractor. Learned to keep the vent clean.
Don’t know for sure if a Cub would do that. There’s lots of spots that the fuel travels from the tank through the carb that loose crud can block flow and make a headache for you.
Gotta ask, did you get the free replacement vented cap from IH?
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:22 pm

Yes, that could be the problem Dan. Also the fuel passage from the tank to the sediment bowl is not totally vertical but has a short horizontal section where debris can get lodged. As far as I know there is no way to "rod" this out to clean it,
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dan Stuckey » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:45 pm

Lt.Mike wrote:I had that happen with my JD lawn tractor. Learned to keep the vent clean.
Don’t know for sure if a Cub would do that. There’s lots of spots that the fuel travels from the tank through the carb that loose crud can block flow and make a headache for you.
Gotta ask, did you get the free replacement vented cap from IH?

Cap looks like the updated free one. But just ordered a new one, not sure if its cleanable to open the venting.

Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dan Stuckey » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:49 pm

staninlowerAL wrote:Yes, that could be the problem Dan. Also the fuel passage from the tank to the sediment bowl is not totally vertical but has a short horizontal section where debris can get lodged. As far as I know there is no way to "rod" this out to clean it,

Most of my fuel line is rubber and I just replaced it two weeks ago thinking it was eroding on the inside and causing my problem. Like I mentioned though, tank is near pristine inside, nothing like any dirt in sediment bowl and screen

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:15 pm

A little debris can clog the valve area of the sediment bowl. Do you have a zenith carb?
My zenith carbs have a screen attached to the elbow that screws into the carb. I’ve had that screen clog and cause issues.
I gave the tank on Paula’s Cub a cleaning but I didn’t remove and rinse it so debris kept turning up. It would conk out and I’d poke a coat hanger into the pickup tube and it’d clear... until the next time it clogged so I picked up a small screen tube from eBay and inserted it into the bowls pickup inside the tank. It’s not a proper fix but it’ll do till I have the time to pull the tank. It runs fine now.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2618189035
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:23 pm

Dan Stuckey wrote: Loosen the clamp quick, pull off the line at the carb inlet and just a drop or so of gas comes out.

Next time this happens instead of blowing in it, just try loosening the gas cap and see if the flow improves. That will tell you if its a venting issue.

Dan Stuckey wrote:So I gather dirt, debris, rust must be gathering at the inlet to the fuel shut off.

Sounds like you have something floating around in your tank. Pull the hose at the carb and let it run back into a gas can. Let it run a long time and see if it eventually changes flow or stops.

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13126
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub "Mule"

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:41 am

When I originally bought my Cub, it had the safety cap on it, however some PO had repainted it in the past, and the paint covered the vent holes. I unplugged the holes with a safety pin. I also ordered a new freebie cap from IH. When it came, I replaced the old one with it.

One thing I will say, here in NY, most available pump gasoline is E10 (10% Ethanol). I could be wrong, but I think these caps are New Old Stock, from a huge run in about 1980, so IH could supply them for free. The 'rubber' seal does not seem to hold up well to Ethanol blended fuels.

On my acreage, as I travel on the sometimes uneven trails, fuel sloshing in the tank will contact the seal, and it will seep fuel. To compensate, I only fill the fuel tank with 5 gals.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison

Mac AR
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72561
Tractors Owned: 51 Farmall Cub "The little 'un"
55 Farmall 300 "The Big 'Un"
60 IH 340U "The middle 'un"

Postby Mac AR » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:44 pm

I was having similar trouble with my Cub. The original style cap had no seal, but luckily I had a rubber gasket the proper size so I put that one in. Started having trouble with it dying after it got hot. Found that tank to be vapor locked, so went back to the shop and drilled the holes in the cap out. There are two, one in the top and one in the bottom. Both must be opened. That fixed it, but then I found out about the free IH cap so ordered one for both it and the 300. I haven't noticed them leaking, either. But I did fix my filler necks about 2 or 3 years ago so that may have helped.

Mac
"Go get me a crescent wrench... git the biggest SOB you can find 'cause I'm gonna use it fer a hammer ennyway" - Words of Wisdom from Dad.

Circle of Safety

Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dan Stuckey » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:22 am

Thanks guys for all the great tips and ideas on this. Anxious to get back to her early next week and hope she acts up so I can test the gas tank vacuum theory. All symptoms point to that.